RE: [GTh] GTh and Counter Culture

  • William Arnal
    Message 1 of 29 , May 20, 2002
      Rick Hubbard wrote:

      >in the text, then created a diagram of the entities (a map). So far as >I
      >know, Reed�s conclusions have not been overtly criticized by other Q
      >scholars, and therefore, it seems that his general strategy is sound.

      In fact, as far as I can tell, they have been pretty thoroughly accepted by
      other Q folks.

      >would be likely to yield any useful clues about the �real world(s)�
      >presupposed within the collection? I don't mean to suggest that it >would
      >be
      >useful to examine only place names (as Reed investigated in Q), but all
      >"entities" that are present in the GTh text. These entities should >include
      >people, places, objects, and institutions (real and imaginary). I�m
      > >inclined
      >to think that this could be an informative investigation, but I�m
      > >reluctant
      >to exert much effort to do so without hearing some input from others.

      I think that this is a brilliant idea, and that there is a lot of potential
      here. Since it's possible that too many of the entities in Thomas will be
      "spiritual entities" it is also possible that the procedure will not work.
      But it SHOULD be tried, I think.

      Bill
      William Arnal
      Department of Religion
      University of Manitoba

      "I wish that I was born a thousand years ago.
      I wish that I'd sailed the darkened seas
      on a great big clipper ship,
      going from this land here to that,
      in a sailor suit and cap."
      -- Lou Reed