[GTh] Re: analogies

  • rahelzer
    Message 1 of 3 , May 15, 2002
      Dr. Arnal asks:

      > In any case, while I find these analogies very interesting,
      > I can't help but wonder what to do with them. What do they mean?
      > What do they tell us about Thomas? What I
      > really was thinking about are *social* analogies to Thomas.

      I don't know how useful this it would be for you, but a closer
      social analogy might be that of Wittgenstein, whose
      disciples have been compiling, arranging, and rearranging his
      cryptic sayings, and then spilling gallons of ink on what
      one saying or another "REALLY means".

      To me, the literature on, for example, what a language game
      "really is" reminds me quite a bit of the literature on what
      the kingdom of heaven "really is".

      Greater clout is given to those who can exhibit the proper
      apostolic sucession, yada yada yada. A great war dispersed the
      followers of Wittgenstein, and a branch of his teachings
      later crystalized into logical positivism, which Wittgenstein
      himself would hardly recognize, yada yada yada.

      -Randy Helzerman