Re: [GTh] other thoughts on gTh

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2002
      Bill writs..
      But if one is seeking to interpret the DOCUMENT (more or
      less redaction-critically), the incipit is, in my view (and, I suspect, the
      redactor's) the sine qua non of proper understanding.

      According to Chadwick.....

      "Origen concludes that the prime purpose of scripture is to convey spiritual truth and that the narrative of events is secondary to this. Most passages of scripture have two or three, or very occaasionally even four levels of meaning."

      This seems to cerainly be the case where Thomas is concerned.

      Tom Saunders