analogies

  • William Arnal
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2002
      Hey everyone:

      Does anyone out there feel like trying to cook up ANALOGIES to GThomas from
      other religious traditions, or just plain "culture"? I don't mean assertions
      that x is derived from y, but cross-cultural and historically-unlinked
      similar endeavours (however "similar" be conceived). For example, I've tried
      in a different context (a class lecture which I'd eventually like to turn
      into an article) to compare Paul's "Christ myth" to the Ceramese story of
      "coconut girl" in terms of what each accomplishes imaginatively in its
      historical context. Can something similar be offered for Thomas? Anyone?

      Bill
      ___________________________
      William Arnal
      Department of Religion
      University of Manitoba

      "I wish that I was born a thousand years ago.
      I wish that I'd sailed the darkened seas
      on a great big clipper ship,
      going from this land here to that,
      in a sailor suit and cap."
      -- Lou Reed

    • smithand44
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2 10:28 AM
        --- In gthomas@y..., "William Arnal" <warnal@h...> wrote:

        > Hey everyone:
        >
        > Does anyone out there feel like trying to cook up ANALOGIES to
        GThomas from
        > other religious traditions, or just plain "culture"? I don't mean
        assertions
        > that x is derived from y, but cross-cultural and historically-
        unlinked
        > similar endeavours (however "similar" be conceived). For example,
        I've tried
        > in a different context (a class lecture which I'd eventually like
        to turn
        > into an article) to compare Paul's "Christ myth" to the Ceramese
        story of
        > "coconut girl" in terms of what each accomplishes imaginatively in
        its
        > historical context. Can something similar be offered for Thomas?
        Anyone?

        > Bill

        I'm not quite sure what you mean by an analogy. But what about
        William Blake's Proverbs of Hell from his "The Marriage of Heaven and
        Hell" pamphlet. Here we proverbs that are very similar to traditional
        English proverbs ("The cut worm forgives the plough"), lines that
        could be at home in his lyrics ("Prisons are built with stones of
        Law, Brothels with bricks of Religion"), Biblical sounding proverbs ("
        Joys impregnate. Sorrows bring forth.","The wrath of the lion is the
        wisdo, of God."--the editor of the edition I'm looking at suggests
        that the whole section is modelled on the book of Proverbs),
        philosophical statements ("Eternity is in love with the productions
        of time."), and statements that show the kind of systematic view of
        humanity that we find in his illuminated epics ("The head Sublime,
        the heart Pathos, the genitals Beauty, the hands & feet Proportion.")
        The imagery is consistently natural, but we have a few exceptions
        (e.g., a clock). One proverb seems to express a straightforward
        position on the eating of animals: "All wholsom food is caught
        without a net or a trap."

        To top it all, Blake precedes the Proverbs of Hell section with "A
        Memorable Fancy" which functions as an incipit.

        "As I was walking among the fires of hell, delighted with the
        enjoyments of Genius; which to Angels look like torment and insanity.
        I collected some of their Proverbs: thinking that as The sayings used
        in a nation, mark its character, so the Proverbs of Hell, shew the
        nature of Infernal wisdom better than any description of buildings or
        garments.

        When I came home; on the abyss of the five senses, where a flat sided
        steep frowns over the present world. I saw a mighty Devil folded in
        black clouds, hovering on the sides of the rock, with corroding fires
        he wrote the following sentence now percieved by the minds of men, &
        read by them on earth.

        How do you know but ev'ry Bird that cuts the airy way,
        Is an immense world of delight, clos'd by your senses five?"

        There's an extraordinary website devoted to Blake at
        http://www.blakearchive.org/main.html
        that includes high quality facsimiles of his illuminated works
        (including Marriage) and a complete online version of a modern
        critical edition of his writings.

        Best Wishes

        Andrew Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , May 20 4:22 AM
          Hey everyone:

          Does anyone out there feel like trying to cook up ANALOGIES to GThomas from
          other religious traditions, or just plain "culture"?

          Hands down, the winner has to be Carlos Castenda's novel "A Separate
          Reality"

          Rick