Re: [GTh] Counter Culture

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2002

      I did not say the GTh has Ascetic, which would make it counter cutltural, by most standards. Ascetic movements really started too late in the Christian movements for the GTh to have been originated by them. Descriptions of Syriac Ascetics have them trying to live off grass and plants, and rejecting social intercourse with anyone outside their sect. (See Chadwick, Early Christaianity, Rev. Ed. 1993, Penquin)

      All I am claiming about oral tradition is that the form of the text lends itself to being memorized with more ease than any other writing in the surviving works we have today. At some time in the first four hundred years of Christianity, writing replaced the need to memorize text to preserve it.

      Tom Saunders