#114: Beloved Disciple

  • Jim Bauer
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2002
      http://www.BelovedDisciple.org

      I found the above link while researching the two Mary's: the Mother of God (or least in RCC usage) vs. Mary Magdalene, still commonly misconceived as a prostitute by many Xians even though that idea is medieval. As for the above link, the author insists that Mary Magdalene was the actual author of the Fourth Gospel.

      If this is true it might shed some interesting light on #114, which now looks like a power struggle in primitive Xianity between Mary and Peter. Specifically, the RCC generally calls Peter "the first Pope". My understanding of this for a long while has been that the Papacy as portrayed in, say, medieval times, was fairly late in developing even though it may have been true that there was a bishop of Rome since Peter's time. Now I see that perhaps the claimants of Peter for chief of the apostles may have started as early as 80 CE when the earliest drafts of Thomas were made.

      It is my theory that "Let Mary leave us..." may have been the original ending, and that "making herself male for my sake" was a Gnostic redaction, as was the first passage in Thomas, "Whoever experiences the meaning of these words will not experience death". Since "the first shall be last" the passage here returns to the beginning.

      I'd like to know what other list members think of the above idea.

      Jim Bauer