Re: [GTh] GTH just #109

  • Jim Bauer
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2002
      From: "David Stanforth" <docta_dave@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 12:58 PM
      Subject: [GTh] GTH just #109

      > This passage has nothing to do with physical money (To my understanding at
      > least). Instead of looking at it as a field look at it as the man's
      > possession. Now think about a possession that could have a treasure in
      it:a
      > bible. (Now when my
      > father dies, I want his bible too.) He knew he couldn't keep it for
      himself. So he
      > shared the gospel. He shared his treasure to whomever he wished.
      >
      > David B. Stanforth
      >
      > Mount Vernon Nazarene College, OH

      Awhile back I made a post to the talk.origins newsgroup, where
      Fundamentalists and scientists spend a lot of time insulting each other over
      evolution. It was to the effect of, "the bible, like everything else,
      evolved". The canonical NT wasn't even finalized until the middle of the
      2nd Century. In any case "the bible" was probably totally unknown to the
      authors of Thomas, though that would have to be untrue of the editors (who
      if Bill Arnal is correct were Gnostic, though I think it may also have been
      redacted by Neoplatonists). The OT was known, however, if that's what you
      mean and it's "the bible". But the whole modern Fundamentalist picture of
      the scriptures being word-for-word actual statements by God Himself didn't
      exist then, so I doubt this could be the treasure unless it was part of an
      oral tradition. Then again, the RCC believes that Mary also ascended into
      heaven like her Son because of "tradition" so ideas like that may have been
      part of the treasure but have nothing to do with the bible. I do agree,
      though, that this saying should be interpreted allegorically, just like the
      parables in the canonical bible.

      Jim Bauer