same Salome?

  • Anne Karin Alhaug
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2002
      I read in the Catholic Enayclopedia that Salome was the daughter of Herod Philip and Herodias, at whose request John the Baptist was beheaded.
      Was this Salome, the same Salome as in the Gospel of Thomas #61?

      My next questions:
      Is it questionable whether a disciple named "Salome" ever existed?
      Salome`s place within the early Church is a Gnostic one, and outside Egypt a Salome first appers in Infancy James in the middle of the second century - in a Johannine context

      Is Salome an avatar of Salomon`s Wisdom, a gnostic myth made flish in first-century?
      In fact, Salome`s very name is Gnostic.
      King Shlomo (Gk. "Solomon") was proverbial in the Old Testament for wisdom, and in Gnostic thought Wisdom was female.

      Greeting
      AnneKarin
      Alexandrian exegesis