Re: [GTh] Re: Strata in Thomas: A proposed Reading of #88

  • Jim Bauer
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
      > Randy Helzerman writes:
      >
      > >One of the few things we know for sure about
      > >the Gospel of Thomas is that it was circulated
      > >around by messengers (in the sense of "mailmen").
      >
      > How on earth do we *know* this? I see no evidence for it at all.

      As I see it, if you really want to attempt a "stratification" of Thomas, it
      may have begun as an oral tradition, subsequently written down in a number
      of lost Aramaic fragments, which were then assembled into the original Greek
      version. It is perhaps possible (as I feel this is tentative) that places
      in GThom where similar sayings are clustered together may have been some of
      the splices between the fragments. ie, someone, reading from an Aramaic
      fragment, may say, "Jesus said, 'blessed are the..." & someone else may say,
      "yeah, he also said something similar in this fragmet I've got."

      > >It is very likely that the evolving Gospel of
      > >Thomas was also circulated around by these
      > >quasi-official "prophets" (who were after all
      > >just "messengers from God).
      >
      > I see no evidence for this, either.

      I don't see mailmen as being "prophets", but I have to agree with Randy
      here--the thing did indeed need to be distributed somehow.

      > >P. S. You pointed me to a article by Bill Anal--yeah, I saw it
      > > and asked our librarian to get me a copy. Can't wait to
      > > read it.
      >
      > One would have to be (anal, that is) to attempt a stratification of
      Thomas,
      > but good luck finding the article under this name. To the best of my
      > knowledge, no such unfortunate person is involved in Thomas scholarship,
      or
      > NT study at all. May the gods be praised.

      As someone who almost went to the National Spelling Bee, I'd have to say,
      "Randy, use your word & grammar checkers a little more often".

      > Bill (Arnal)
      > ___________________________
      > William Arnal
      > Department of Religion
      > University of Manitoba
      >
      > "I wish that I was born a thousand years ago.
      > I wish that I'd sailed the darkened seas
      > on a great big clipper ship,
      > going from this land here to that,
      > in a sailor suit and cap."
      > -- Lou Reed

      Heroin, it's my wife & it's my life,
      Heroin, be the death of me.
      --also Lou Reed, the same song, actually.

    • William Arnal
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2002
        Randy Helzerman writes:

        > > How on earth do we *know* this? I see no evidence for it at all.
        >
        >Since we've found fragments of GTh in various
        >places, we know that messangers circulated copies
        >of GTh, no? I really didn't mean anything more
        >profound than that, I'm afraid.

        But even that, I think, assumes too much. What we have, in fact, are a
        handful of fragments from, I think, 3 separate copies of Thomas is ONE place
        (the POxy fragments), and another, single, MS from fairly nearby and from
        about a century or more later. This does not suggest wide distribution.
        Moreover, even if we grant a wider distribution than the MS evidence
        suggests (which I think I'm willing to do), there is no reason at all to
        imagine that the mechanism of that distribution took a form in ANY way
        analogous to "mail." I would be more inclined to assume that Thomas was
        transmitted more or less incidentally by personal contacts than by
        deliberate propagation.

        >arrghh! How embarrassing. Please don't take
        >offence at my "scribal error"!

        Not at all. I thought it was funny.

        >Now that our dialog has gotten off to such a good
        >start :-) I'd like to ask you (not unlike Abram
        >barganing with Yawheh at Mamre) if you could outline
        >for us your argument as to why you classify GTh 88
        >as Gnostic? Is the argument easily summarized, or
        >should I wait for the messanger to bring me a copy
        >of your article?

        Perhaps the latter is the best course of action. I wrote that piece many
        years ago, and don't remember the specific arguments re. 88 (if there even
        were any!). And I'm at home right now, so I don't have a copy of it handy.

        Bill
        ___________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2002
          Jim Bauer wrote:

          >As someone who almost went to the National Spelling Bee, I'd have to >say,
          >"Randy, use your word & grammar checkers a little more often".

          The problem is, when "Arnal" is encountered by most spell checkers, they
          don't (naturally enough) recognize it, and give "anal" as the nearest
          equivalent. This strikes me as divine justice of a sort.

          >Heroin, it's my wife & it's my life,
          >Heroin, be the death of me.
          >--also Lou Reed, the same song, actually.

          My very favourite song by Lou Reed, and possibly by anyone.

          Bill