RE: [GTh] #95 & #109

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 14, 2002
      Rick Hubbard said:

      >>I did my best to try to summarize Bill's article last
      summer. Although there is always the danger that I have
      missed something altogether, or that I have mis-stated
      Bill's position, the "breakout" of the strata is close to
      accurate (at least). Here's the link:

      I must have missed this one! Well, at least I now have
      something to do over the weekend. Still have to find the
      article, though.

      Thanks again!

      Respectfully,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    • Michael Mozina
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 19, 2002
        William Arnal Wrote on 3/08/02:

        >>We might be talking past each other again. Did I seem to imply that Thomas
        sayings must or should go back to Jesus? No, like you and like Kloppenborg,
        I can't see Thomas as testimony to the historical Jesus -- it, like the
        canonicals, is a theological-literary production, I assume.

        I'm at work at the moment, and I can't seem to locate your posts about the
        oral traditions of Thomas. I'll look again at home for these posts since I
        am very curious about your analysis of this issue.

        I did however run across this comment of yours about the origins of Thomas,
        and I'm curious if you wouldn't mind giving me me a short explanation of
        *WHY* you can't see this as a testimony to the historical Jesus, and instead
        "assume" it's a theological-literary production. From my vantange point,
        Thomas seems very randomly slapped together and I don't see much of an
        underlying "production" to it. The randomness of these sayings, as opposed
        to grouped "themes", seems to lend credence to the notion that these were
        recorded at different times as the author happened to pen them down, rather
        than this list representing a well thought out "production" per se.

        [Michael Mozina]
        [sig added by ed. Contributors should sign messages.]