RE: [GTh] #95 & #109

  • William Arnal
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 14 1:22 PM
      Hey all:

      >[Dave asked:]
      >
      >Out of curiosity, could you provide a brief summary of the criteria
      >you used to base your published (1995?) analytical breakout of GoT
      >mentioned in earlier posts?
      >
      >[and Rick replied]
      >
      >I did my best to try to summarize Bill's article last summer. Although
      > >there
      >is always the danger that I have missed something altogether, or that >I
      >have
      >mis-stated Bill's position, the "breakout" of the strata is close to
      >accurate (at least). Here's the link:

      Thanks for this, Rick. I wasn't able to reply to Dave's original message yet
      because any copies of the article I have are back at the office, and I'm at
      home today. But this saves me the necessity of a (belated) reply.

      Bill
      ___________________________
      William Arnal
      Department of Religion
      University of Manitoba

      "Well, I can see I'm not in Paris"
      -- Ernest Hemingway, on landing in Winnipeg

    • David C. Hindley
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 14 4:31 PM
        Rick Hubbard said:

        >>I did my best to try to summarize Bill's article last
        summer. Although there is always the danger that I have
        missed something altogether, or that I have mis-stated
        Bill's position, the "breakout" of the strata is close to
        accurate (at least). Here's the link:

        I must have missed this one! Well, at least I now have
        something to do over the weekend. Still have to find the
        article, though.

        Thanks again!

        Respectfully,

        Dave Hindley
        Cleveland, Ohio, USA
      • Michael Mozina
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 19, 2002
          William Arnal Wrote on 3/08/02:

          >>We might be talking past each other again. Did I seem to imply that Thomas
          sayings must or should go back to Jesus? No, like you and like Kloppenborg,
          I can't see Thomas as testimony to the historical Jesus -- it, like the
          canonicals, is a theological-literary production, I assume.

          I'm at work at the moment, and I can't seem to locate your posts about the
          oral traditions of Thomas. I'll look again at home for these posts since I
          am very curious about your analysis of this issue.

          I did however run across this comment of yours about the origins of Thomas,
          and I'm curious if you wouldn't mind giving me me a short explanation of
          *WHY* you can't see this as a testimony to the historical Jesus, and instead
          "assume" it's a theological-literary production. From my vantange point,
          Thomas seems very randomly slapped together and I don't see much of an
          underlying "production" to it. The randomness of these sayings, as opposed
          to grouped "themes", seems to lend credence to the notion that these were
          recorded at different times as the author happened to pen them down, rather
          than this list representing a well thought out "production" per se.

          [Michael Mozina]
          [sig added by ed. Contributors should sign messages.]