Re: [GTh] #95 & #109

  • dchindley
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 13, 2002
      --- In gthomas@y..., "William Arnal" <warnal@h...> wrote:

      >>Not at all. In fact I'm not sure why you'd say this. The saying
      *mentions* interest, and I noted that this (apparently) contradicts
      another saying in valuation of interest. That's all. It doesn't mean
      that I think that interest is the central point of this saying.<<

      Sorry, I did not mean to impute an idea to you.

      Out of curiosity, could you provide a brief summary of the criteria
      you used to base your published (1995?) analytical breakout of GoT
      mentioned in earlier posts? I have not yet had a chance to find a
      copy of the journal it is in, but am interested in what would have
      been written there.

      Thanks!

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, OH (USA)
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 14, 2002
        [Dave asked:]

        Out of curiosity, could you provide a brief summary of the criteria
        you used to base your published (1995?) analytical breakout of GoT
        mentioned in earlier posts?

        I did my best to try to summarize Bill's article last summer. Although there
        is always the danger that I have missed something altogether, or that I have
        mis-stated Bill's position, the "breakout" of the strata is close to
        accurate (at least). Here's the link:

        Rick Hubbard
        Humble Maine Woodsman
      • William Arnal
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 14, 2002
          Hey all:

          >[Dave asked:]
          >
          >Out of curiosity, could you provide a brief summary of the criteria
          >you used to base your published (1995?) analytical breakout of GoT
          >mentioned in earlier posts?
          >
          >[and Rick replied]
          >
          >I did my best to try to summarize Bill's article last summer. Although
          > >there
          >is always the danger that I have missed something altogether, or that >I
          >have
          >mis-stated Bill's position, the "breakout" of the strata is close to
          >accurate (at least). Here's the link:

          Thanks for this, Rick. I wasn't able to reply to Dave's original message yet
          because any copies of the article I have are back at the office, and I'm at
          home today. But this saves me the necessity of a (belated) reply.

          Bill
          ___________________________
          William Arnal
          Department of Religion
          University of Manitoba

          "Well, I can see I'm not in Paris"
          -- Ernest Hemingway, on landing in Winnipeg

        • David C. Hindley
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 14, 2002
            Rick Hubbard said:

            >>I did my best to try to summarize Bill's article last
            summer. Although there is always the danger that I have
            missed something altogether, or that I have mis-stated
            Bill's position, the "breakout" of the strata is close to
            accurate (at least). Here's the link:

            I must have missed this one! Well, at least I now have
            something to do over the weekend. Still have to find the
            article, though.

            Thanks again!

            Respectfully,

            Dave Hindley
            Cleveland, Ohio, USA
          • Michael Mozina
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 19 11:32 AM
              William Arnal Wrote on 3/08/02:

              >>We might be talking past each other again. Did I seem to imply that Thomas
              sayings must or should go back to Jesus? No, like you and like Kloppenborg,
              I can't see Thomas as testimony to the historical Jesus -- it, like the
              canonicals, is a theological-literary production, I assume.

              I'm at work at the moment, and I can't seem to locate your posts about the
              oral traditions of Thomas. I'll look again at home for these posts since I
              am very curious about your analysis of this issue.

              I did however run across this comment of yours about the origins of Thomas,
              and I'm curious if you wouldn't mind giving me me a short explanation of
              *WHY* you can't see this as a testimony to the historical Jesus, and instead
              "assume" it's a theological-literary production. From my vantange point,
              Thomas seems very randomly slapped together and I don't see much of an
              underlying "production" to it. The randomness of these sayings, as opposed
              to grouped "themes", seems to lend credence to the notion that these were
              recorded at different times as the author happened to pen them down, rather
              than this list representing a well thought out "production" per se.

              [Michael Mozina]
              [sig added by ed. Contributors should sign messages.]