GThomas Concordance?

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2002
      Has anyone had the opportunity to look at the following?

      _A COMPUTER-GENERATED CONCORDANCE OF THE COPTIC TEXT OF THE GOSPEL ACCORDING
      TO THOMAS_ Generated by Eldon H. Degge (Mellen Press?)

      At $269.85 for 188 pages it HAS to be good, Right?

      Rick Hubbard
      Humble Maine Woodsman
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2002
        At 08:43 AM 2/2/02 -0500, Rick Hubbard wrote:
        >Has anyone had the opportunity to look at the following?
        >
        >_A COMPUTER-GENERATED CONCORDANCE OF THE COPTIC TEXT OF THE GOSPEL ACCORDING
        >TO THOMAS_ Generated by Eldon H. Degge (Mellen Press?)
        >
        >At $269.85 for 188 pages it HAS to be good, Right?

        If it is Mellen Press, the book is priced with university libraries
        in mind, who can spend more for books than individuals.

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
      • rhubbard@midmaine.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2002
          On Sat, 02 Feb 2002 11:34:13 -0500 "Stephen C. Carlson" wrote:

          > If it is Mellen Press, the book is priced with university libraries
          > in mind, who can spend more for books than individuals.

          I figured as much. Nevertheless, I'm curious what this thing looks like.
          Have you actually had a chance to examine it? In particular, since it
          says "computer generated, does this mean it is transliterated or does it
          use Coptic script?

          Thanks

          Rick Hubbard
          Humble Maine Woodsman
        • Stephen C. Carlson
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2002
            At 12:46 AM 2/4/02 EDT, rhubbard@... wrote:
            >On Sat, 02 Feb 2002 11:34:13 -0500 "Stephen C. Carlson" wrote:
            >> If it is Mellen Press, the book is priced with university libraries
            >> in mind, who can spend more for books than individuals.
            >
            >I figured as much. Nevertheless, I'm curious what this thing looks like.
            >Have you actually had a chance to examine it? In particular, since it
            >says "computer generated, does this mean it is transliterated or does it
            >use Coptic script?

            I don't know anything about this book, but looking at
            the various bookseller websites (inc. allbookstores.com),
            it lists at $89.95, not $269.85, and can be found used
            for $77.

            Stephen Carlson
            --
            Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
          • Michael Everson
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2002
              At 00:46 -0400 2002-02-04, rhubbard@... wrote:
              >On Sat, 02 Feb 2002 11:34:13 -0500 "Stephen C. Carlson" wrote:
              >
              >> If it is Mellen Press, the book is priced with university libraries
              >> in mind, who can spend more for books than individuals.
              >
              >I figured as much. Nevertheless, I'm curious what this thing looks like.
              >Have you actually had a chance to examine it? In particular, since it
              >says "computer generated, does this mean it is transliterated or does it
              >use Coptic script?

              The Gospel isn't even that long. How do you get 182 pages out of
              computer-analysing it?
              --
              Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com