Re: [GTh] editors & compilers

  • Jim Bauer
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 23, 2002
      From: "Grondin" <mgrondin9@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 5:09 PM
      Subject: Re: [GTh] editors & compilers

      I think you'd have to go a far way to
      > convince folks that the apparently external Monad, Barbelo, Yaltabaoth,
      > etc., are somehow _really_ internal forces.

      Are you using the term "monad" in the sense defined by Leibnitz? The whole
      is contained in any of its parts while what discriminates the parts from the
      whole is their interrelationships. It is believed by some scholars, even
      though it is a Greek term, that he derived it from South Asian religion.

      Jim Bauer
    • Grondin
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 24, 2002
        Jim Bauer writes:
        > Are you using the term "monad" in the sense defined by Leibnitz?

        No - in the sense defined (if you can call it that) in the Apocryphon of
        John (p.106-7 of Robinson's NHLe, e.g.). As I recall, Leibnitz had a system
        of multiple monads with the God-monad at the top, whereas in AoJ, there's
        only one monad.

        Mike
      • smithand44
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 24, 2002
          --- In gthomas@y..., "Tom Saunders" <tom@c...> wrote:
          > Philo wrote:
          >
          > "Now "place" has a three-fold meaning, firstly that of a space
          filled by a material form, secondly that of the Divine Word, which
          God Himself has completely filled throughout the incorporeal
          potencies.... There is a third signification, in keeping with which
          God Himself is called a place, by reason of His containing things,
          and being contained by nothing whatever, and being a place for all to
          flee into, and because He is Himself the space which holds Him; for
          He is that which He Himself has occupied, and naught encloses Him but
          Himself."

          Great quote, Tom, do you have a full reference for it? Interesting
          that he identified 'place' with 'logos.' While translating GTh from
          Mike's interlinear version I kept coming across "in the place which",
          which can easily be, and usually is, rendered as simply 'where.' It
          struck me as another technical term in GTh, but I hadn't come across
          or remembered any interpretation of 'place' meaning an internal place.

          e.g. In the following it is something that we are to aim for,
          18, "for the end will be in the place where the Beginning is." or
          67 "lacks that place within himself" or "that place where moths do
          not consume nor worms destroy." In 68 "you are blessed when... you
          are not found within the place where you are persecuted", that place
          being the heart, we are told in #69.

          Thanks

          Andrew Smith
        • Grondin
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 24, 2002
            Tom Saunders writes:
            > An internal system does not negate the outside or external, it just makes
            it work differently. Sometimes it is a subtle difference. Not to confuse
            anyone but the saying and idea the "Kingdom is inside you and outside you"
            is in effect perfectly compatible with an internal system.

            I've since discovered a way to make it compatible that differs from what I
            suggested earlier, and also differs from the way you choose below:

            > It is the portal which makes the distinction. In this case it is the
            SMSB. This is where man is connected with the universe and the light. And
            this pathway is through the internal self of man. In an external system God
            has a seperate portal outside the intrinsic whole of the individual. In the
            external system both God and demons are externally based outside the soul,
            spirit, and body. They are a seperate entity.

            I can't make much sense of this idea of "portals". Do you mean that man has
            by nature an in-built "piece of God", as it were - as opposed to having no
            connection at all with God at birth? If so, I don't know how you could
            defend the claim that such a view is inconsistent with the gospels. The
            "SMSB" is there, too, and they agree with GTh that the innocent babe enters
            into "the Kingdom", and that couldn't be so if man had no connection with
            God at birth.

            But I have been doing some thinking about this "internal/external" thingy.
            Take minds, for example. We would say that they're internal - as opposed to
            such external objects as hands and feet - but yet most minds are outside of
            me, i.e., external TO ME. So minds are the kind of thing that's both inside
            you and outside you. Or take a quality like wisdom - I have some, you have
            some, we all have some. The thing itself is inherently internal (except in
            Platonic thought, which postulates an external object of perfect Wisdom),
            but a lot of it is outside myself. So again, one could say of wisdom that
            it's both inside you and outside you. The problem posed by "the Kingdom",
            however, is that it's seemingly not like either of these examples. It's not
            multiple things, like minds, nor is it (unless McCoy is right, which I don't
            admit) a quality like wisdom. If, however, it's a belief or set of beliefs
            (call it 'B'), then it could be said that B is inside me, and that B is
            inside others, who themselves are external to me, hence that the
            intrinsically-internal B is both inside me and outside me.

            > The interanl system accounts for God and demons being as they are
            described in Mary, Phillip and the A of J., what we would call psychological
            today. The following from A of John:

            > "The four chief demons are: Ephememphi, who belongs to pleasure, Yoko,
            who belongs to desire, Nenentophni, who belongs to grief, Blaomen, who
            belongs to fear. ...

            Clearly, the description of these "demons" ties into human attributes. That
            is probably what a "demon" was for the AoJ Gnostics. But in order to support
            your claim that the _entire_ cosmology is "internal", you have to account
            for the _major_ beings (the Monad, Barbelo, Ialtabaoth, et al).

            > One example of the A of J being rightfully a description of an internal
            epistemology is this paragragh which in effect describes what in the Dao is
            known as Wu ji, limitless energy. Wu ji is the next concept after Dao,
            which means exactly the same thing as logos. 'He' in this case translates
            to Wu-ji.

            References to Eastern philosophy are probably unilluminating to most
            list-members, so it's best to stay away from that.

            > The Dao ... does not recognize the soul. This may be the flaw that
            Jesus saw in the Daoist philosophy.

            Umm - he probably didn't know anything about Dao at all. Do you have any
            reason for assuming so, other than chronology and an uncertain degree of
            ideational similarity? Again, I'd stay away from this entirely. Unless you
            can demonstrate that the folks we're talking about had definite and explicit
            knowledge of Dao, it's just an irrelevant complication.

            Mike
          • Ron McCann
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 28, 2002
              Jack,

              Although your comments didn't seem too me to be precisely on point here,
              since you raised this issue, I thought I should address it.

              As you know, I subscribe to the view that Mark, The Q people, and Thomas all
              took some of their material from a common earlier source document- a Loggia
              Collection allegedly assembled and written down by the Apostle Matthew in
              Aramaic. There are several attestations to the existence of such a document
              in early writings, and Eusebius comments that "everyone (Greek speakers)
              translated it as best he could". Naturally then, sayings taken from it and
              converted to Greek, might retain some of the original Aramaic form and
              flavor which you seem to find in them. A double or triple attestation in
              Mark, Q, or Thomas suggests to me an origin in this Aramaic collection; some
              variations attributable to translation variances and/or editing. On this
              view, Markan-Thomas parallels, nay, even the occasional Markan-Thomas
              "exclusive", are not surprising.

              Although I am over-simplifying, Thomas itself, seems to be a combination of
              material from this collection, (whenever a Thomas saying has a Synoptic
              parallel) and material from another collection with no Synoptic parallels-
              the so called 'secret" stream. Whereas about a dozen of the latter's sayings
              are probably intrusive- added about AD 95 or even later, say, the rest of
              them may comprise a genuine core of material provided by the Apostle Thomas-
              his "take" so to speak. It seems odd that this Gospel and this material
              would be attributed to Thomas if he provided nothing for it. And the Gospel
              itself attests he did. If all the material, as you have suggested, came from
              Peter, why not call it Peter's Gospel? If anything, the Gospel seems
              anti-Petrine, but of course those may be late additions.

              It seems to me that it would be most productive to examine the
              non-Synoptic-parallel material of Thomas, the so-called "hidden" or "secret"
              stream for any indications that some of this had originally been written in
              Aramaic. All examples I have seen from you, where you explore this, have
              been sayings with Synoptic parallels, mostly Mark, as I recall. If I am
              right about Thomas (who likely spoke and wrote in Aramaic) providing these
              sayings, these non-Synoptic-parallel sayings should preserve some of that
              Aramaic flavor and may disclose evidence of being in an early written form.

              One might begin with such sayings as the Parable of the Woman with the Jar,
              or the Parable of the Killing of the Powerful Man. I lack the expertise to
              do this myself. I have no Greek or Aramaic. Have you by any chance done this
              with any of the non-Synoptic-parallel sayings in Thomas (Thomas
              "exclusives')? Has anyone?

              It strikes me that if none exhibit any Aramaic flavor or provenance, then
              *all* the so called "secret" sayings of Thomas are likely late additions,
              and were not part of the early core.

              Best Regards,

              Ron McCann
              Saskatoon, Canada