Re: [GTh] Virus Caution

  • Jim Bauer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 21, 2002
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "ronmccann1" <ronmccann1@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 3:54 PM
      Subject: [GTh] Virus Caution

      > I just received an E-mail with Attachment purporting to come from
      > this list.

      I also received a virus, a supposed reply to my message of a few weeks back,
      containing the heading [GTh] re: Neoplatonism. The virus screen on my ISP
      caught it on my boot-up. However, I forgot to write the virus name down or
      forward a warning to others on this group. I am sorry if by inaction I
      might have allowed the virus to spread to other group members.

      Jim Bauer
    • nathan.sanders@quintiles.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 23, 2002
        Question. Did any of these contain an attachment? Or did simply opening
        the email spread the virus?

        "Jim Bauer" <jbauer@...> on 21-01-2002 08:30:01 PM

        Please respond to gthomas@yahoogroups.com

        To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
        cc:

        Subject: Re: [GTh] Virus Caution

        > I just received an E-mail with Attachment purporting to come from
        > this list.

        I also received a virus, a supposed reply to my message of a few weeks
        back,
        containing the heading [GTh] re: Neoplatonism. The virus screen on my ISP
        caught it on my boot-up. However, I forgot to write the virus name down or
        forward a warning to others on this group. I am sorry if by inaction I
        might have allowed the virus to spread to other group members.

        Jim Bauer

      • David C. Hindley
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 23, 2002
          Nathan Sanders asks:

          >>Question. Did any of these contain an attachment? Or did
          simply opening the email spread the virus?<<

          I received that one too. The name of the supposed sender was
          very likely fictitious. There are two strains of the
          BadTrans virus, and one of them uses fictitious e-mail
          addresses. The other uses real e-mail addresses that it
          finds in the MS Outlook address books of infected computers.
          Sometimes the virus will use real-life subject lines and
          other times it sends a hard-coded subject like. It doesn't
          seem to actually do anything except send copies of itself to
          others via e-mail.

          It appears to me that the version going around for a couple
          months now sends itself as a PIF (or was it a GIF) file
          embedded in an HTML message. In the message's HTML code is a
          macro instructing it to open an attached PIF file upon
          receipt. On my computer, it seems my security and/or virus
          screening settings prevent the file from opening, but I do
          not know how I set it up to do so. I use POP3 mail protocol.
          However, my virus software does not identify it as a virus
          until I "scan" the file (with attachment).

          So, in this case, opening the message itself *can* infect
          your computer if you are not using up-to-date virus
          screening software.

          Respectfully,

          Dave Hindley
          Cleveland, Ohio, USA