73/74/75 one saying

  • Andrew Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2001
      [73]Jesus said, "The harvest is great but the laborers are few.
      Beseech the Lord, therefore, to send out laborers to the
      harvest."
      [74]He said, "O Lord, there are many around the drinking trough,
      but there is nothing in the cistern."
      [75]Jesus said, "Many are standing at the door, but it is the
      solitary who will enter the bridal chamber." [Lambdin]

      In his 1994 SBL paper, "The Meaningless of the Gospel of Thomas"
      (which used to be available on the Gospel of Thomas homepage under
      ythe title "Thomas as an oracles text" but has now disappeared),
      Steve Davies writes "Sayings 73, 74 and 75 are a dialog between Jesus
      and another person who, in saying 74, addresses Jesus as 'Master'
      [Lord in Lambdin]This was recently brought to my attention by Marvin
      Meyer during the Panel Discussion of the Gospel of Thomas... SBL Nov.
      1993... As saying 74 is not a saying of Jesus at all, and as Thomas
      always lets Jesus have the last word, these three sayings should be
      considered one."

      I couldn't find any discussion on this in the archives. This seems
      quite conving to me apart from two problems:

      1) is 'Lord' in 74 addressed to Jesus, or to God?
      2) Who is 'he' in 74?

      Best Wishes

      Andrew Smith
      1) Who