Re: [GTh] Fw: [GospelofThomas] Re: Salome: A Modest Proposal :#61

  • Ron McCann
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 10, 2001
      On Aug 17th, Jack wrote-

      > Ron, you seem to be equating the Salome (Shelomzion, the feminine form of
      > Solomon), daughter of Herodias, with Salome, the mother of the brothers
      > Zebediya. Although the prosopography of the relatives and family of Jesus
      > must be extracted from multiple canonical and non-canonical sources, the
      > Salome who was a follower (and supporter) of Jesus..and present at the
      > crucifixion...appears to have been his aunt, Mary's sister. Josephus'
      "off
      > with his head" Salome, and daughter of Herodias (and Herod Philip)...was
      > probably named after Salome Alexandra, the widow of Alexander Jannaeus and
      > last Hasmonean ruler>

      Jack,

      No such equating was intended. Rather I was intending to suggest that the
      disciple Salome had nothing to do with the dancer Salome, (Herodias's
      daughter who danced for Herod); and that only one Salome- the disciple- is
      mentioned in the Gospels.- the other Salome- the dancer- remaining unnamed
      there. Almost anyone will tell you that a woman named Salome was the woman
      who danced for Herod. I was curious as to how that belief had come about.
      Sorry if my words mislead you on that point.

      You know, after I posted that. I got to thinking about Salome being
      mentioned in the very last chapter of Mark, with all three of the women
      fleeing in fear. It abruptly ends, and as many have observed that there has
      to have been more, but the proper ending is missing. Quite clearly, this
      ending was missing in Matthew and Luke's copies, too. Hard to imagine it was
      "lost" such that it could not be recovered, in just 10 years.

      In keeping with my thesis, do you suppose the original ending may have been
      deliberately amputated because it contained the risen Jesus interacting with
      the later-disgraced Salome in some too familiar way, as had presumably been
      done in the case of the Jericho incident? Or did the Secret Mark ending
      perhaps contain "secret resurrection teachings" which had to be excised, as
      the Lazarus Initiation story was, leaving a truncated Normal Mark. Secret
      teachings were clearly not an issue in the Jericho, incident if you buy what
      Clement said was written there. Salome's relationship with Jesus was.
      Perhaps the original ending has the risen Jesus giving Salome "secret
      resurrection teachings". Now wouldn't that "fry your bacon" if you are
      trying to discredit her?

      I guess my point is that the true ending of Mark may have been deliberately
      deleted for either or both of these reasons, rather than "accidentally"
      lost. And such editing would have to have taken place between the writing of
      the Secret Gospel and 80 CE when Matthew first got his hands on the reworked
      copy.

      Just a stray thought. And I have another one. Another idea worth exploring,
      is the
      alternative possibility that Salome may have had to be discredited because
      she "defected" to the Thomas camp, and became their darling. Ergo- they
      record her "Call" in the Gospel of Thomas.

      Best Wishes,

      Ron
    • Ron McCann
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 10, 2001
        Peter,

        Many thanks for your post.

        I take your point. Thomas didn't "soften" this saying by electing to use
        "couch" instead of "bed". I was quite wrong. Our modern translators who used
        it, did. (grin). As you point out, the two meanings seems to be
        interchangeable in both the Coptic and in the Greek version-the one likely
        read by the Carpos. And they probably read it in 61b as "bed", since that
        suited their agenda more.

        Of the seven translations I looked at since your post arrived, three use
        "couch" in both 61a and 61b, two use "bed" in both sayings, and the
        remaining two use "bed" in the first and "couch" in the second. I tend to go
        with the "couch" crowd, especially in 61b since a formal diner seems to be
        indicated.. Thank you for the URL to that Lexicon site. It was most helpful.

        I also want to express my thanks for drawing my attention to the Gospel of
        The Egyptians and Salome's presence in most of the fragments from it. I had
        done a search of all the Nag Hammadi texts for "Salome", and apart from a
        brief and useless reference in the First Apocalypse of James, and of course,
        in Thomas, there was nothing. I had completely forgotten about this Gospel
        and its' Salome content. It's a shame there is not more of it. Still, it
        indicates SOMEONE ELSE thought Salome was an important lady, that she had a
        close relationship to Jesus as a disciple, and that Jesus entrusted to her
        some important teachings, as he is shown to have done in Thomas 61b. Funny
        she got "deep sixed".

        Thanks for having that site. It's a jewel.

        Best Wishes,

        Ron

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 11, 2001
          At 12:26 AM 08/11/2001 -0600, Ron McCann wrote:
          >Still, it
          >indicates SOMEONE ELSE thought Salome was an important lady, that she had a
          >close relationship to Jesus as a disciple, and that Jesus entrusted to her
          >some important teachings, as he is shown to have done in Thomas 61b. Funny
          >she got "deep sixed".

          Paul wanted women to keep silent in church. So there must have been some
          women who were not. Evidently, then, Salome was one of them. His way
          eventually won.

          Steve Allison
          Knoxville, TN
        • Ron McCann
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 11, 2001
            Mike,

            You took issue with the following, which I wrote in my post.

            You said:-
            > As Peter Kirby notes, there's no apparent "softening" or "neutering"
            > in the Thomas saying. The word in question was usually used to mean
            > 'bed', and so someone who was unfamiliar with the Grecian style of
            > dining might conclude (as the Carpocratians did?) that Salome was
            > saying that Jesus had both slept and ate with her.

            You are absolutely right about Thomas not being responsible for any
            "softening" by employing the term "couch" over "bed" in 61. See my post of
            to-day's date to Peter Kirby. I should have examined all the alternative
            translations available. Any such 'softening" is a result of a modern
            translator's choice of "couch" over "bed".

            But, not, I hope, to split hairs- "neutering" seems clearly to have been
            done with the elimination of the word "Men", after "Two". No? "Two Men will
            sleep/ lay down in/on a bed". Remove it, and no homosexual implications can
            be drawn from it (not that it's that easy to do in the first place.).

            And as you say, one really has to reach to see any lacivious meaning in 61b.
            Your point about the Carpos having to ignore parts of the saying to do so,
            is well taken. You had written:-

            <But even then,
            > it must have seemed extremely odd for a woman who had slept with a
            > man to suddenly ask later, "Say, who are you, anyway?" (Well, not
            > counting wives, who occasionally imply something of the sort when
            > their husbands have acted in typically stupid manly fashion :-)

            On the other hand, doesn't this scenario re-enact itself tens of thousands
            of times a night when the bars close? :-)

            Might I also be permitted a comment on something else you wrote? You state:-

            > > Unfortunately, the resolution of the discordance isn't at all
            > convincing, since it's unlikely in the extreme that Salome (or
            > anyone else in their right mind) would have keeled right over and
            > become J's disciple simply on the basis of something he might say.
            > In that respect, the whole story sounds as fishy as the "calling"
            > of the sons of Zebedee, who drop everything they're doing when J
            > says "Follow me!". The historical core, if there was one, must
            > certainly have been quite different.

            Fair enough, but the fact that Salome "keels over" in the exact same
            fashion, and with exactly the same swiftness as the Zebedees, or the Tax
            Collector Levi or some of the others, on encountering Jesus for the first
            time, may either be an literary device- just the way they wrote of those
            kinds of experiences in those days- or it may be a response to the sheer
            impact the man- reputely of enormous personal charisma- had on the people he
            met. Either way, identifying this saying as the Calling of Salome, is
            reinforced.

            I might also cite to you, in addition, a proven human emotional response
            reaction called "love at first sight". Some similar mechanism may be
            involved here. In that vein, might I direct you to the raising of Lazarus
            incident in Secret Mark, where immediately after raising Lazarus, Lazarus
            instantly falls "in love" with Jesus.

            Not all that "fishy", really. :-)

            Ron
          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 11, 2001
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 11, 2001
                > > Ron, you seem to be equating the Salome (Shelomzion, the feminine form
                of
                > > Solomon), daughter of Herodias, with Salome, the mother of the brothers
                > > Zebediya. Although the prosopography of the relatives and family of
                Jesus
                > > must be extracted from multiple canonical and non-canonical sources, the
                > > Salome who was a follower (and supporter) of Jesus..and present at the
                > > crucifixion...appears to have been his aunt, Mary's sister. Josephus'
                > "off
                > > with his head" Salome, and daughter of Herodias (and Herod Philip)...was
                > > probably named after Salome Alexandra, the widow of Alexander Jannaeus
                and
                > > last Hasmonean ruler>
                >
                > Jack,
                >
                > No such equating was intended. Rather I was intending to suggest that the
                > disciple Salome had nothing to do with the dancer Salome, (Herodias's
                > daughter who danced for Herod); and that only one Salome- the disciple-
                is
                > mentioned in the Gospels.- the other Salome- the dancer- remaining unnamed
                > there. Almost anyone will tell you that a woman named Salome was the woman
                > who danced for Herod. I was curious as to how that belief had come about.
                > Sorry if my words mislead you on that point.

                Aaah, I see. I misunderstood. Perhaps when Antipas was exiled to the west,
                and Herodias went with him, step-daughter Salome tagged along. It may be
                that
                the hagiographers, writing some 30 years after Herod's exile just didn't
                know
                her name. After all, none of them appear to be from Palestine. Josephus
                was, hence
                he remembered her name.

                > You know, after I posted that. I got to thinking about Salome being
                > mentioned in the very last chapter of Mark, with all three of the women
                > fleeing in fear. It abruptly ends, and as many have observed that there
                has
                > to have been more, but the proper ending is missing. Quite clearly, this
                > ending was missing in Matthew and Luke's copies, too. Hard to imagine it
                was
                > "lost" such that it could not be recovered, in just 10 years.
                >
                > In keeping with my thesis, do you suppose the original ending may have
                been
                > deliberately amputated because it contained the risen Jesus interacting
                with
                > the later-disgraced Salome in some too familiar way, as had presumably
                been
                > done in the case of the Jericho incident? Or did the Secret Mark ending
                > perhaps contain "secret resurrection teachings" which had to be excised,
                as
                > the Lazarus Initiation story was, leaving a truncated Normal Mark. Secret
                > teachings were clearly not an issue in the Jericho, incident if you buy
                what
                > Clement said was written there. Salome's relationship with Jesus was.
                > Perhaps the original ending has the risen Jesus giving Salome "secret
                > resurrection teachings". Now wouldn't that "fry your bacon" if you are
                > trying to discredit her?

                First, I do not think aunt Salome was "later-disgraced." I believe, as the
                wife
                of the half owner of a lucrative fishing business, she, along with Joanna
                and
                Susanna helped support the small band "from her means." "Lying on my couch"
                is an Aramaic idiom for coming to dinner..which is the only time you laid on
                a couch in those days.

                > I guess my point is that the true ending of Mark may have been
                deliberately
                > deleted for either or both of these reasons, rather than "accidentally"
                > lost. And such editing would have to have taken place between the writing
                of
                > the Secret Gospel and 80 CE when Matthew first got his hands on the
                reworked
                > copy.

                Actually, I think the ending of Mark is preserved in Matthew who copied
                and redacted Mark nearly in its entirety. Although the Gospel of Mark
                that Matthew and Luke used was probably not the currect version, the
                ending can be extracted from Matthew and put back in Markan style
                like:

                Mark 16:9 And Jesus met them and said, Good Morning! (Mt 28:9)
                10 And they went up to him and clasped his feet, and bowed to the ground
                before him (Mt. 28:9) 11 Jesus said to them, you need not be afraid. (Mt
                28:10)
                12 Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee and they will see me there (Mt
                28:10)
                13 And they went with great joy and ran to tell his disciples (Mt 28:8)
                14 And the elevel disciples went to Galilee to the mountain to which Jesus
                had
                directed them (Mt 28:16) 15 And Jesus came up to them and said, Go
                and preach the good news to all the heathen. I will always be with you,
                to the end. (Mt 28:19)

                Since Mark fell into a period of disuse in favor of Matthew and Matthew
                covered Mark's bases, it was not considered worthwhile to preserve or
                replace the missing page of the Markan codex....after all, Matthew said it.

                That's one theory. Another worth considering is that sometime during the
                Pauline/Petrine polemics, the final portion of Mark was "lifted" and
                inserted
                at the end of John as Chapter 21 in order to neutralize the anti-petrine
                John with a pro-Petrine ending of Mark. The three times "do ya love me?"
                in John 21 brackets the three times "I don't know the guy" at Mark 14....
                and Mark was a bracketer, wasn't he?

                > Just a stray thought. And I have another one. Another idea worth
                exploring,
                > is the
                > alternative possibility that Salome may have had to be discredited because
                > she "defected" to the Thomas camp, and became their darling. Ergo- they
                > record her "Call" in the Gospel of Thomas.

                Not if the "Thomas camp" was the original "family camp."

                Jack

                -----

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 11, 2001
                  > Were they really encountering Jesus for the first time, Ron, or is that
                  the
                  > literary device? Salome is Jesus' aunt, therefore the Zebediya boys,
                  > Yohanon (John) and Ya'akov (James, the "greater") are Jesus' cousins.
                  > Jesus' uncle Zebediya is in a partnership with Yona in a fishing business
                  > and Yona's two sons, Simon and Andreas are close to and work with
                  > Jesus' cousins. Jesus' uncle Clopas/Cleophas/Alphaeus is his father
                  > Yosef's brother, married to "the other Mary" and have two sons,
                  > Mattaya (Matthew) and Ya'akov (James, the "lesser") who are also
                  > cousins. Thaddeus was a cousin. Was Yehudah "Toma" the same
                  > person as brother "Jude?"
                  > It appears very much to me that Jesus' knew all these
                  > people he called to "follow me" all his life. Did brother Ya'akov
                  > (James, the Righteous) just "pop up" after the crucifixion or was he an
                  > element in this enterprise all along? It seems that the "Son of Man and
                  > Kingdom Coming, Incorporated" was a family enterprise.
                  > Perhaps Logion 12 is a relic of the GoT origins in the earliest (family)
                  > tradition.

                  Jack,
                  I am very much aware of your "Family"-cabal thesis, and frankly think it has
                  a great deal of merit. I am greatly inclined to accept it.

                  But nothing in your Thesis stands or falls on whether or not the disciple of
                  Jesus called Salome is the same person as the Mother of the Zebedees-James
                  and John, or is even a relative.

                  I don't think she is, and it doesn't matter to your thesis anyway. The
                  mother could have been called Hagitha, or Fred for all I know, but "Salome"?
                  I think not. Expelling the Mother of James and John from the "camp" is
                  almost unthinkable (although she does seem a tad pushy when she presses
                  Jesus to give her boys 'first place" in the Kingdom.).

                  I do not know what pillars you rest your conclusion on, that this disciple
                  Salome is really Jesus's Aunt Zebedee. I hope one is not Matthew 27:55. I
                  must still insist that a deletion of the name "Salome" took place here, and
                  that Matthew merely substituted:-

                  "and the mother of the sons of Zebedee"

                  in it's place. Note that the full passage reads:-

                  "Among them were Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joseph,
                  and the mother of the sons of Zebedee"

                  In Mark this reads:-

                  "among them were Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the younger
                  and of Joses, and Salome,"

                  Knee-jerk logic- "Oh, why then Salome=Mother of the sons of Zebedee!" Hello
                  Auntie Salome!

                  But think. If the formula is to name the mother and name her children if a
                  woman is married with family, why does not Matthew write "and SALOME, the
                  mother of the sons of Zebedee." Just as he and Mark have done for Mary? He
                  had the name right there, before him.

                  No Jack, this is a complete substitution. Another more congenial candidate
                  has been dropped in the empty slot. At least Luke didn't go so far as to
                  "mother" it. He substitutes another single woman, Joanna.

                  This Salome is single, by formula, and she is not "Auntie Salome", Jimmy and
                  Johnnie's mummy.

                  But wait ( K-Tel commercial music), there's MORE!

                  Off we go, this time to the fragmentary remains of the Gospel of the
                  Egyptians (With thanks to Peter Kirby) by way of our cheerful,
                  sometimes-liar Clement. Here, we find the ONLY OTHER references to Salome,
                  apart from Thomas and the brief references in Mark. (There is a brief
                  reference as well in the highly gnostic First Apocalyse of James, where she
                  seems to be a chum of Lazarus's sisters, Mary and Martha.). Here, Clement,
                  arguing against incontinence (abstention from sexual acvtivity) quotes from
                  that Gospel.

                  "... Salome saith: "Until when shall men continue to die?" ... the Lord
                  makes answer: "So long as women bear children."
                  And why do they not ... go on to quote the rest of that which was said
                  to Salome? For when she had said, "I have done well, then in not bearing
                  children? ... the Lord answers and says: "Every plant eat thou, but that
                  which has bitterness, eat not." "

                  The point here is that Salome here declares herself as childless.

                  Now, Jack?
                  Can I take the trick, Now? :-)

                  Ron
                • digitalis_pu@yahoo.no
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 12, 2001
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 13, 2001
                      A couple of comments on an interesting thread:

                      (1) There was a discussion on this list back in 1999 on the
                      translation of 6LO6 in Thom. 61 and KLINH in Luke, Mike, me,
                      Sytze, Paterson Brown and Steve Patterson. I've looked in the
                      archives and see that there is some useful material; you might
                      begin here:

                      (2) Luke 17.34 does not specify two "men" in a bed but DUO EPI
                      KLINHS MIAS, two upon one bed.

                      (3) On the identification of Salome with the mother of the sons of
                      Zebedee (Jack), one argument against might be the Dura-Europos
                      Gospel Harmony Fragment from the late 2nd Century, which
                      begins [ZEBED]AIOU KAI SALWMH ([of Zebed]ee and Salome). It
                      looks like this earliest extent gospel harmony fragment thus did not
                      identify or harmonize the characters Mother of the sons of Zebedee
                      from Matthew and Salome from Mark.

                      Mark

                      --------------------------------------
                      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
                      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
                      Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

                      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
                      Homepage
                      http://www.ntgateway.com
                      The New Testament Gateway
                    • Ron McCann
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 13, 2001
                        On August 13th, Mark wrote:-

                        > A couple of comments on an interesting thread:
                        > (2) Luke 17.34 does not specify two "men" in a bed but DUO EPI
                        > KLINHS MIAS, two upon one bed.

                        Thank you Mark for pointing this out. Once again I have been hoist on a
                        translator's petard (although I used it on myself). Of 11 translations I
                        have just looked at, 4 insert "Men", 2 go only with "Two" and the remaining
                        5 inserted the word " People". Only Darby's translation square brackets
                        "men". Who was to know? Angels fear to tread, and all that.

                        This leaves me no choice but to completely rescind my earlier suggestion
                        that Thomas "neutered" the 61a saying by deleting "men" and just leaving
                        "Two." Game, set and match, Mike. The two sayings are probably only grouped
                        because of the "catchword" "couch" or "bed".

                        You also wrote:->

                        > (3) On the identification of Salome with the mother of the sons of
                        > Zebedee (Jack), one argument against might be the Dura-Europos
                        > Gospel Harmony Fragment from the late 2nd Century, which
                        > begins [ZEBED]AIOU KAI SALWMH ([of Zebed]ee and Salome). It
                        > looks like this earliest extent gospel harmony fragment thus did not
                        > identify or harmonize the characters Mother of the sons of Zebedee
                        > from Matthew and Salome from Mark.

                        Thanks for this. I think it adds some weight in the argument.

                        Ron
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 13, 2001
                          Mark Goodacre wrote:
                          > Luke 17.34 does not specify two "men" in a bed but DUO EPI
                          > KLINHS MIAS, two upon one bed.

                          Ron shouldn't feel too bad about being misled. The generally-accepted
                          standards of translation are just too low, IMO. I notice also that at 17:35
                          most translations have 'two women' (grinding together, or some such), but
                          again only the neutral word 'DUO' appears in the Greek. I never thought of
                          it before, but translators of the canon are apparently traditionally much
                          less careful than Robinson's group of NHLe translators, who were supposed
                          to have adhered to a system of special symbols, among which was the use of
                          parentheses to indicate "material supplied by the editor or translator".
                          Even so, however, Lambdin's version of Th62 in NHLe, for example, has 'left
                          hand' and 'right hand', instead of 'left (hand)' and 'right (hand)' (or,
                          better yet, simply 'left' and 'right'). I guess translators feel free to do
                          a little creative extrapolation of their own! Sure, one should always
                          consult the original language, but if standards of translation weren't so
                          loose, there'd be less chance of being misled by the English.
                          Discouragingly (from my point of view), Bob Funk argues _against_ stricter
                          standards in "Honest to Jesus"; one can see the results of such a policy in
                          "The Scholars Version" of Thomas and the canonicals, which could be safely
                          ignored were it not for the fact that that translation is used in some
                          pretty important texts from the Jesus Seminar (viz., "The Five Gospels" and
                          "The Acts of Jesus".)

                          Mike
                        • fmmccoy
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 18, 2002
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 18, 2002
                              [Klaus Schilling]:
                              > Anything excluding Thomas' Salome from being one of the Maccabian
                              > princesses?<<

                              Yes - the internal logic of the saying.

                              [Dave Hindley]:
                              > Ahhh, yes! I too was thinking of queen Shalom Zion (ca. 78-69 BCE).
                              > There is a connection, at least in Jewish tradition, between Jesus and
                              > Shalome Zion (in the Toledoth Jeschu literature) and her husband,
                              Alexander
                              > Janneus (ca. 104-78, the connection being that Jesus' teacher is said to
                              be
                              > a figure who was also said to have been critical of Janneus but escaped
                              > judgement because he was related to the queen).

                              The successful candidate for the Salome of #61 will have to have more than a
                              remote relationship to Jesus. She will also have to satisfy the internal
                              logic of the saying. That is, this must be a literal or metaphorical woman
                              in whose mouth the words "You have mounted my couch and eaten from my table"
                              make sense. It must also make sense for her to proclaim herself to be a
                              disciple of Jesus. In the absence of detailed argumentation relevant to the
                              internal logic of 61, neither Salome Alexandra nor Salome of the Herodians
                              appears to fit that bill.

                            • Grondin
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 18, 2002
                                [Klaus Schilling]:
                                > Anything excluding Thomas' Salome from being one of the Maccabian
                                > princesses?

                                Sorry, Klaus, I obviously misunderstood the question - most probably because
                                I've read nothing at all about the continued existence of the
                                Maccabees/Hasmonians after Herod came to power (ca 37-40 BCE) and sometime
                                later had his Hasmonean wife (Mariamne I), her sons, and other prominent
                                members of the family executed. It seems unlikely, as Frank observes, that
                                there would have been any "princesses" left, though I suppose distant
                                relatives might still have considered themselves successors to the throne
                                for some period of time. What can you tell us about this subject?