Re: [GTh] Salome

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 10, 2001

      Clement
      > > lied to his correspondent about the content of the "Secret Gospel of
      > Mark",
      > > when he (Clement) said that Jesus had not received Salome et al at
      > Jericho.
      > > This hadn't occurred to me before, but it does make sense. However, I'm
      > > still not entirely convinced of the authenticity of Morton Smith's
      "find".
      > > Since Jack is (or was) online, perhaps he can comment on the current
      > status
      > > of that issue. Last I heard, Charlie Hedrick was gonna go to the Mar
      Saba
      > > Abbey to see if he could locate the text which thus far only Morton
      Smith
      > > (now deceased) claims to have seen (and copied down).
      >
      > Not exactly, Mike. Archimandrite Melito took the 1646 Voss edition of
      > Ignatius (in which the Clement letter was written on the flyleaves) to the
      > Patriarchate Library in Jerusalem in 1977. Kallistos Dourvas removed the
      > pages from the book (I think that was a big mistake) in order to
      photograph
      > them,
      > which he did. Now, in addition to Smith's photographs, these new
      > photographs
      > are now viewable at the Westar Institute website:
      >
      > http://www.westarinstitute.org/westar/news/secretmk1.html

      Ooops! That should be:

      http://www.westarinstitute.org/Westar/News/SecretMk1/secretmk1.html

      Why can't I ever type a URL right?

      Jack
    • Peter Kirby
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 10, 2001
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 10, 2001
          --- Ron McCann wrote:
          > In Thomas the saying has been softened and neutered. In Luke, the
          > only other Gospel in which this saying or it's parallel is found,
          > it has not been and can be read "suggestively".

          As Peter Kirby notes, there's no apparent "softening" or "neutering"
          in the Thomas saying. The word in question was usually used to mean
          'bed', and so someone who was unfamiliar with the Grecian style of
          dining might conclude (as the Carpocratians did?) that Salome was
          saying that Jesus had both slept and ate with her. But even then,
          it must have seemed extremely odd for a woman who had slept with a
          man to suddenly ask later, "Say, who are you, anyway?" (Well, not
          counting wives, who occasionally imply something of the sort when
          their husbands have acted in typically stupid manly fashion :-)

          If mostly fictionalized, the point of the Salome pericope may have
          been the discordance between J's ordinary human activities and the
          exalted status that either he claimed for himself, or that others
          later claimed on his behalf. This discordance is evident in the
          canonical Nazareth episodes, where townsfolk are made to ask "Isn't
          he the carpenter's son?", or some such. Here, in Th61B, Salome is
          presented as a person who's seen Jesus engaged in normal activities
          in a normal way, and thus is astonished that he can present himself
          as somebody worthy of note - a "big shot", as it were.
          Unfortunately, the resolution of the discordance isn't at all
          convincing, since it's unlikely in the extreme that Salome (or
          anyone else in their right mind) would have keeled right over and
          become J's disciple simply on the basis of something he might say.
          In that respect, the whole story sounds as fishy as the "calling"
          of the sons of Zebedee, who drop everything they're doing when J
          says "Follow me!". The historical core, if there was one, must
          certainly have been quite different.

          M.
          p.s.: I never thought about it before, but what's that stuff in
          Luke about two men sleeping together on a bed? Is that metaphorical
          or what?
        • Ron McCann
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 10, 2001
            On Aug 17th, Jack wrote-

            > Ron, you seem to be equating the Salome (Shelomzion, the feminine form of
            > Solomon), daughter of Herodias, with Salome, the mother of the brothers
            > Zebediya. Although the prosopography of the relatives and family of Jesus
            > must be extracted from multiple canonical and non-canonical sources, the
            > Salome who was a follower (and supporter) of Jesus..and present at the
            > crucifixion...appears to have been his aunt, Mary's sister. Josephus'
            "off
            > with his head" Salome, and daughter of Herodias (and Herod Philip)...was
            > probably named after Salome Alexandra, the widow of Alexander Jannaeus and
            > last Hasmonean ruler>

            Jack,

            No such equating was intended. Rather I was intending to suggest that the
            disciple Salome had nothing to do with the dancer Salome, (Herodias's
            daughter who danced for Herod); and that only one Salome- the disciple- is
            mentioned in the Gospels.- the other Salome- the dancer- remaining unnamed
            there. Almost anyone will tell you that a woman named Salome was the woman
            who danced for Herod. I was curious as to how that belief had come about.
            Sorry if my words mislead you on that point.

            You know, after I posted that. I got to thinking about Salome being
            mentioned in the very last chapter of Mark, with all three of the women
            fleeing in fear. It abruptly ends, and as many have observed that there has
            to have been more, but the proper ending is missing. Quite clearly, this
            ending was missing in Matthew and Luke's copies, too. Hard to imagine it was
            "lost" such that it could not be recovered, in just 10 years.

            In keeping with my thesis, do you suppose the original ending may have been
            deliberately amputated because it contained the risen Jesus interacting with
            the later-disgraced Salome in some too familiar way, as had presumably been
            done in the case of the Jericho incident? Or did the Secret Mark ending
            perhaps contain "secret resurrection teachings" which had to be excised, as
            the Lazarus Initiation story was, leaving a truncated Normal Mark. Secret
            teachings were clearly not an issue in the Jericho, incident if you buy what
            Clement said was written there. Salome's relationship with Jesus was.
            Perhaps the original ending has the risen Jesus giving Salome "secret
            resurrection teachings". Now wouldn't that "fry your bacon" if you are
            trying to discredit her?

            I guess my point is that the true ending of Mark may have been deliberately
            deleted for either or both of these reasons, rather than "accidentally"
            lost. And such editing would have to have taken place between the writing of
            the Secret Gospel and 80 CE when Matthew first got his hands on the reworked
            copy.

            Just a stray thought. And I have another one. Another idea worth exploring,
            is the
            alternative possibility that Salome may have had to be discredited because
            she "defected" to the Thomas camp, and became their darling. Ergo- they
            record her "Call" in the Gospel of Thomas.

            Best Wishes,

            Ron
          • Ron McCann
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 10, 2001
              Peter,

              Many thanks for your post.

              I take your point. Thomas didn't "soften" this saying by electing to use
              "couch" instead of "bed". I was quite wrong. Our modern translators who used
              it, did. (grin). As you point out, the two meanings seems to be
              interchangeable in both the Coptic and in the Greek version-the one likely
              read by the Carpos. And they probably read it in 61b as "bed", since that
              suited their agenda more.

              Of the seven translations I looked at since your post arrived, three use
              "couch" in both 61a and 61b, two use "bed" in both sayings, and the
              remaining two use "bed" in the first and "couch" in the second. I tend to go
              with the "couch" crowd, especially in 61b since a formal diner seems to be
              indicated.. Thank you for the URL to that Lexicon site. It was most helpful.

              I also want to express my thanks for drawing my attention to the Gospel of
              The Egyptians and Salome's presence in most of the fragments from it. I had
              done a search of all the Nag Hammadi texts for "Salome", and apart from a
              brief and useless reference in the First Apocalypse of James, and of course,
              in Thomas, there was nothing. I had completely forgotten about this Gospel
              and its' Salome content. It's a shame there is not more of it. Still, it
              indicates SOMEONE ELSE thought Salome was an important lady, that she had a
              close relationship to Jesus as a disciple, and that Jesus entrusted to her
              some important teachings, as he is shown to have done in Thomas 61b. Funny
              she got "deep sixed".

              Thanks for having that site. It's a jewel.

              Best Wishes,

              Ron

              > I don't know Coptic, but I know a little Greek, and the Greek word used in
              > Luke here is klinhv, a word which can be translated either as bed or as
              > couch.
              >
              > The Coptic is a translation from the Greek, so it really doesn't matter
              what
              > the Coptic word's connotations are, so long as the Coptic word is a
              > recongizable translation possibility for the Greek word klinh.
              Nonetheless,
              > according to Mike Grondin, the Coptic word can be translated either as
              couch
              > or as bed (see near the bottom).
              >
              > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9068/lex_ce.htm
              >
              > Also, you might want to look into the Gospel of the Egyptians, which
              > mentions Salome.
              >
              > http://home.earthlink.net/~kirby/writings/egyptians-english.html
              >
              > best,
              > Peter Kirby
              > http://home.earthlink.net/~kirby/writings/

            • Steve Allison
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 11, 2001
                At 12:26 AM 08/11/2001 -0600, Ron McCann wrote:
                >Still, it
                >indicates SOMEONE ELSE thought Salome was an important lady, that she had a
                >close relationship to Jesus as a disciple, and that Jesus entrusted to her
                >some important teachings, as he is shown to have done in Thomas 61b. Funny
                >she got "deep sixed".

                Paul wanted women to keep silent in church. So there must have been some
                women who were not. Evidently, then, Salome was one of them. His way
                eventually won.

                Steve Allison
                Knoxville, TN
              • Ron McCann
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 11, 2001
                  Mike,

                  You took issue with the following, which I wrote in my post.

                  You said:-
                  > As Peter Kirby notes, there's no apparent "softening" or "neutering"
                  > in the Thomas saying. The word in question was usually used to mean
                  > 'bed', and so someone who was unfamiliar with the Grecian style of
                  > dining might conclude (as the Carpocratians did?) that Salome was
                  > saying that Jesus had both slept and ate with her.

                  You are absolutely right about Thomas not being responsible for any
                  "softening" by employing the term "couch" over "bed" in 61. See my post of
                  to-day's date to Peter Kirby. I should have examined all the alternative
                  translations available. Any such 'softening" is a result of a modern
                  translator's choice of "couch" over "bed".

                  But, not, I hope, to split hairs- "neutering" seems clearly to have been
                  done with the elimination of the word "Men", after "Two". No? "Two Men will
                  sleep/ lay down in/on a bed". Remove it, and no homosexual implications can
                  be drawn from it (not that it's that easy to do in the first place.).

                  And as you say, one really has to reach to see any lacivious meaning in 61b.
                  Your point about the Carpos having to ignore parts of the saying to do so,
                  is well taken. You had written:-

                  <But even then,
                  > it must have seemed extremely odd for a woman who had slept with a
                  > man to suddenly ask later, "Say, who are you, anyway?" (Well, not
                  > counting wives, who occasionally imply something of the sort when
                  > their husbands have acted in typically stupid manly fashion :-)

                  On the other hand, doesn't this scenario re-enact itself tens of thousands
                  of times a night when the bars close? :-)

                  Might I also be permitted a comment on something else you wrote? You state:-

                  > > Unfortunately, the resolution of the discordance isn't at all
                  > convincing, since it's unlikely in the extreme that Salome (or
                  > anyone else in their right mind) would have keeled right over and
                  > become J's disciple simply on the basis of something he might say.
                  > In that respect, the whole story sounds as fishy as the "calling"
                  > of the sons of Zebedee, who drop everything they're doing when J
                  > says "Follow me!". The historical core, if there was one, must
                  > certainly have been quite different.

                  Fair enough, but the fact that Salome "keels over" in the exact same
                  fashion, and with exactly the same swiftness as the Zebedees, or the Tax
                  Collector Levi or some of the others, on encountering Jesus for the first
                  time, may either be an literary device- just the way they wrote of those
                  kinds of experiences in those days- or it may be a response to the sheer
                  impact the man- reputely of enormous personal charisma- had on the people he
                  met. Either way, identifying this saying as the Calling of Salome, is
                  reinforced.

                  I might also cite to you, in addition, a proven human emotional response
                  reaction called "love at first sight". Some similar mechanism may be
                  involved here. In that vein, might I direct you to the raising of Lazarus
                  incident in Secret Mark, where immediately after raising Lazarus, Lazarus
                  instantly falls "in love" with Jesus.

                  Not all that "fishy", really. :-)

                  Ron
                • Jack Kilmon
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 11, 2001
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 11, 2001
                      > > Ron, you seem to be equating the Salome (Shelomzion, the feminine form
                      of
                      > > Solomon), daughter of Herodias, with Salome, the mother of the brothers
                      > > Zebediya. Although the prosopography of the relatives and family of
                      Jesus
                      > > must be extracted from multiple canonical and non-canonical sources, the
                      > > Salome who was a follower (and supporter) of Jesus..and present at the
                      > > crucifixion...appears to have been his aunt, Mary's sister. Josephus'
                      > "off
                      > > with his head" Salome, and daughter of Herodias (and Herod Philip)...was
                      > > probably named after Salome Alexandra, the widow of Alexander Jannaeus
                      and
                      > > last Hasmonean ruler>
                      >
                      > Jack,
                      >
                      > No such equating was intended. Rather I was intending to suggest that the
                      > disciple Salome had nothing to do with the dancer Salome, (Herodias's
                      > daughter who danced for Herod); and that only one Salome- the disciple-
                      is
                      > mentioned in the Gospels.- the other Salome- the dancer- remaining unnamed
                      > there. Almost anyone will tell you that a woman named Salome was the woman
                      > who danced for Herod. I was curious as to how that belief had come about.
                      > Sorry if my words mislead you on that point.

                      Aaah, I see. I misunderstood. Perhaps when Antipas was exiled to the west,
                      and Herodias went with him, step-daughter Salome tagged along. It may be
                      that
                      the hagiographers, writing some 30 years after Herod's exile just didn't
                      know
                      her name. After all, none of them appear to be from Palestine. Josephus
                      was, hence
                      he remembered her name.

                      > You know, after I posted that. I got to thinking about Salome being
                      > mentioned in the very last chapter of Mark, with all three of the women
                      > fleeing in fear. It abruptly ends, and as many have observed that there
                      has
                      > to have been more, but the proper ending is missing. Quite clearly, this
                      > ending was missing in Matthew and Luke's copies, too. Hard to imagine it
                      was
                      > "lost" such that it could not be recovered, in just 10 years.
                      >
                      > In keeping with my thesis, do you suppose the original ending may have
                      been
                      > deliberately amputated because it contained the risen Jesus interacting
                      with
                      > the later-disgraced Salome in some too familiar way, as had presumably
                      been
                      > done in the case of the Jericho incident? Or did the Secret Mark ending
                      > perhaps contain "secret resurrection teachings" which had to be excised,
                      as
                      > the Lazarus Initiation story was, leaving a truncated Normal Mark. Secret
                      > teachings were clearly not an issue in the Jericho, incident if you buy
                      what
                      > Clement said was written there. Salome's relationship with Jesus was.
                      > Perhaps the original ending has the risen Jesus giving Salome "secret
                      > resurrection teachings". Now wouldn't that "fry your bacon" if you are
                      > trying to discredit her?

                      First, I do not think aunt Salome was "later-disgraced." I believe, as the
                      wife
                      of the half owner of a lucrative fishing business, she, along with Joanna
                      and
                      Susanna helped support the small band "from her means." "Lying on my couch"
                      is an Aramaic idiom for coming to dinner..which is the only time you laid on
                      a couch in those days.

                      > I guess my point is that the true ending of Mark may have been
                      deliberately
                      > deleted for either or both of these reasons, rather than "accidentally"
                      > lost. And such editing would have to have taken place between the writing
                      of
                      > the Secret Gospel and 80 CE when Matthew first got his hands on the
                      reworked
                      > copy.

                      Actually, I think the ending of Mark is preserved in Matthew who copied
                      and redacted Mark nearly in its entirety. Although the Gospel of Mark
                      that Matthew and Luke used was probably not the currect version, the
                      ending can be extracted from Matthew and put back in Markan style
                      like:

                      Mark 16:9 And Jesus met them and said, Good Morning! (Mt 28:9)
                      10 And they went up to him and clasped his feet, and bowed to the ground
                      before him (Mt. 28:9) 11 Jesus said to them, you need not be afraid. (Mt
                      28:10)
                      12 Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee and they will see me there (Mt
                      28:10)
                      13 And they went with great joy and ran to tell his disciples (Mt 28:8)
                      14 And the elevel disciples went to Galilee to the mountain to which Jesus
                      had
                      directed them (Mt 28:16) 15 And Jesus came up to them and said, Go
                      and preach the good news to all the heathen. I will always be with you,
                      to the end. (Mt 28:19)

                      Since Mark fell into a period of disuse in favor of Matthew and Matthew
                      covered Mark's bases, it was not considered worthwhile to preserve or
                      replace the missing page of the Markan codex....after all, Matthew said it.

                      That's one theory. Another worth considering is that sometime during the
                      Pauline/Petrine polemics, the final portion of Mark was "lifted" and
                      inserted
                      at the end of John as Chapter 21 in order to neutralize the anti-petrine
                      John with a pro-Petrine ending of Mark. The three times "do ya love me?"
                      in John 21 brackets the three times "I don't know the guy" at Mark 14....
                      and Mark was a bracketer, wasn't he?

                      > Just a stray thought. And I have another one. Another idea worth
                      exploring,
                      > is the
                      > alternative possibility that Salome may have had to be discredited because
                      > she "defected" to the Thomas camp, and became their darling. Ergo- they
                      > record her "Call" in the Gospel of Thomas.

                      Not if the "Thomas camp" was the original "family camp."

                      Jack

                      -----

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 11, 2001
                        > Were they really encountering Jesus for the first time, Ron, or is that
                        the
                        > literary device? Salome is Jesus' aunt, therefore the Zebediya boys,
                        > Yohanon (John) and Ya'akov (James, the "greater") are Jesus' cousins.
                        > Jesus' uncle Zebediya is in a partnership with Yona in a fishing business
                        > and Yona's two sons, Simon and Andreas are close to and work with
                        > Jesus' cousins. Jesus' uncle Clopas/Cleophas/Alphaeus is his father
                        > Yosef's brother, married to "the other Mary" and have two sons,
                        > Mattaya (Matthew) and Ya'akov (James, the "lesser") who are also
                        > cousins. Thaddeus was a cousin. Was Yehudah "Toma" the same
                        > person as brother "Jude?"
                        > It appears very much to me that Jesus' knew all these
                        > people he called to "follow me" all his life. Did brother Ya'akov
                        > (James, the Righteous) just "pop up" after the crucifixion or was he an
                        > element in this enterprise all along? It seems that the "Son of Man and
                        > Kingdom Coming, Incorporated" was a family enterprise.
                        > Perhaps Logion 12 is a relic of the GoT origins in the earliest (family)
                        > tradition.

                        Jack,
                        I am very much aware of your "Family"-cabal thesis, and frankly think it has
                        a great deal of merit. I am greatly inclined to accept it.

                        But nothing in your Thesis stands or falls on whether or not the disciple of
                        Jesus called Salome is the same person as the Mother of the Zebedees-James
                        and John, or is even a relative.

                        I don't think she is, and it doesn't matter to your thesis anyway. The
                        mother could have been called Hagitha, or Fred for all I know, but "Salome"?
                        I think not. Expelling the Mother of James and John from the "camp" is
                        almost unthinkable (although she does seem a tad pushy when she presses
                        Jesus to give her boys 'first place" in the Kingdom.).

                        I do not know what pillars you rest your conclusion on, that this disciple
                        Salome is really Jesus's Aunt Zebedee. I hope one is not Matthew 27:55. I
                        must still insist that a deletion of the name "Salome" took place here, and
                        that Matthew merely substituted:-

                        "and the mother of the sons of Zebedee"

                        in it's place. Note that the full passage reads:-

                        "Among them were Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joseph,
                        and the mother of the sons of Zebedee"

                        In Mark this reads:-

                        "among them were Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the younger
                        and of Joses, and Salome,"

                        Knee-jerk logic- "Oh, why then Salome=Mother of the sons of Zebedee!" Hello
                        Auntie Salome!

                        But think. If the formula is to name the mother and name her children if a
                        woman is married with family, why does not Matthew write "and SALOME, the
                        mother of the sons of Zebedee." Just as he and Mark have done for Mary? He
                        had the name right there, before him.

                        No Jack, this is a complete substitution. Another more congenial candidate
                        has been dropped in the empty slot. At least Luke didn't go so far as to
                        "mother" it. He substitutes another single woman, Joanna.

                        This Salome is single, by formula, and she is not "Auntie Salome", Jimmy and
                        Johnnie's mummy.

                        But wait ( K-Tel commercial music), there's MORE!

                        Off we go, this time to the fragmentary remains of the Gospel of the
                        Egyptians (With thanks to Peter Kirby) by way of our cheerful,
                        sometimes-liar Clement. Here, we find the ONLY OTHER references to Salome,
                        apart from Thomas and the brief references in Mark. (There is a brief
                        reference as well in the highly gnostic First Apocalyse of James, where she
                        seems to be a chum of Lazarus's sisters, Mary and Martha.). Here, Clement,
                        arguing against incontinence (abstention from sexual acvtivity) quotes from
                        that Gospel.

                        "... Salome saith: "Until when shall men continue to die?" ... the Lord
                        makes answer: "So long as women bear children."
                        And why do they not ... go on to quote the rest of that which was said
                        to Salome? For when she had said, "I have done well, then in not bearing
                        children? ... the Lord answers and says: "Every plant eat thou, but that
                        which has bitterness, eat not." "

                        The point here is that Salome here declares herself as childless.

                        Now, Jack?
                        Can I take the trick, Now? :-)

                        Ron
                      • digitalis_pu@yahoo.no
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 12, 2001
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 13, 2001
                            A couple of comments on an interesting thread:

                            (1) There was a discussion on this list back in 1999 on the
                            translation of 6LO6 in Thom. 61 and KLINH in Luke, Mike, me,
                            Sytze, Paterson Brown and Steve Patterson. I've looked in the
                            archives and see that there is some useful material; you might
                            begin here:

                            (2) Luke 17.34 does not specify two "men" in a bed but DUO EPI
                            KLINHS MIAS, two upon one bed.

                            (3) On the identification of Salome with the mother of the sons of
                            Zebedee (Jack), one argument against might be the Dura-Europos
                            Gospel Harmony Fragment from the late 2nd Century, which
                            begins [ZEBED]AIOU KAI SALWMH ([of Zebed]ee and Salome). It
                            looks like this earliest extent gospel harmony fragment thus did not
                            identify or harmonize the characters Mother of the sons of Zebedee
                            from Matthew and Salome from Mark.

                            Mark

                            --------------------------------------
                            Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
                            University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
                            Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

                            http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
                            Homepage
                            http://www.ntgateway.com
                            The New Testament Gateway
                          • Ron McCann
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 13, 2001
                              On August 13th, Mark wrote:-

                              > A couple of comments on an interesting thread:
                              > (2) Luke 17.34 does not specify two "men" in a bed but DUO EPI
                              > KLINHS MIAS, two upon one bed.

                              Thank you Mark for pointing this out. Once again I have been hoist on a
                              translator's petard (although I used it on myself). Of 11 translations I
                              have just looked at, 4 insert "Men", 2 go only with "Two" and the remaining
                              5 inserted the word " People". Only Darby's translation square brackets
                              "men". Who was to know? Angels fear to tread, and all that.

                              This leaves me no choice but to completely rescind my earlier suggestion
                              that Thomas "neutered" the 61a saying by deleting "men" and just leaving
                              "Two." Game, set and match, Mike. The two sayings are probably only grouped
                              because of the "catchword" "couch" or "bed".

                              You also wrote:->

                              > (3) On the identification of Salome with the mother of the sons of
                              > Zebedee (Jack), one argument against might be the Dura-Europos
                              > Gospel Harmony Fragment from the late 2nd Century, which
                              > begins [ZEBED]AIOU KAI SALWMH ([of Zebed]ee and Salome). It
                              > looks like this earliest extent gospel harmony fragment thus did not
                              > identify or harmonize the characters Mother of the sons of Zebedee
                              > from Matthew and Salome from Mark.

                              Thanks for this. I think it adds some weight in the argument.

                              Ron
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 13, 2001
                                Mark Goodacre wrote:
                                > Luke 17.34 does not specify two "men" in a bed but DUO EPI
                                > KLINHS MIAS, two upon one bed.

                                Ron shouldn't feel too bad about being misled. The generally-accepted
                                standards of translation are just too low, IMO. I notice also that at 17:35
                                most translations have 'two women' (grinding together, or some such), but
                                again only the neutral word 'DUO' appears in the Greek. I never thought of
                                it before, but translators of the canon are apparently traditionally much
                                less careful than Robinson's group of NHLe translators, who were supposed
                                to have adhered to a system of special symbols, among which was the use of
                                parentheses to indicate "material supplied by the editor or translator".
                                Even so, however, Lambdin's version of Th62 in NHLe, for example, has 'left
                                hand' and 'right hand', instead of 'left (hand)' and 'right (hand)' (or,
                                better yet, simply 'left' and 'right'). I guess translators feel free to do
                                a little creative extrapolation of their own! Sure, one should always
                                consult the original language, but if standards of translation weren't so
                                loose, there'd be less chance of being misled by the English.
                                Discouragingly (from my point of view), Bob Funk argues _against_ stricter
                                standards in "Honest to Jesus"; one can see the results of such a policy in
                                "The Scholars Version" of Thomas and the canonicals, which could be safely
                                ignored were it not for the fact that that translation is used in some
                                pretty important texts from the Jesus Seminar (viz., "The Five Gospels" and
                                "The Acts of Jesus".)

                                Mike
                              • fmmccoy
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 18, 2002
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 18, 2002
                                    [Klaus Schilling]:
                                    > Anything excluding Thomas' Salome from being one of the Maccabian
                                    > princesses?<<

                                    Yes - the internal logic of the saying.

                                    [Dave Hindley]:
                                    > Ahhh, yes! I too was thinking of queen Shalom Zion (ca. 78-69 BCE).
                                    > There is a connection, at least in Jewish tradition, between Jesus and
                                    > Shalome Zion (in the Toledoth Jeschu literature) and her husband,
                                    Alexander
                                    > Janneus (ca. 104-78, the connection being that Jesus' teacher is said to
                                    be
                                    > a figure who was also said to have been critical of Janneus but escaped
                                    > judgement because he was related to the queen).

                                    The successful candidate for the Salome of #61 will have to have more than a
                                    remote relationship to Jesus. She will also have to satisfy the internal
                                    logic of the saying. That is, this must be a literal or metaphorical woman
                                    in whose mouth the words "You have mounted my couch and eaten from my table"
                                    make sense. It must also make sense for her to proclaim herself to be a
                                    disciple of Jesus. In the absence of detailed argumentation relevant to the
                                    internal logic of 61, neither Salome Alexandra nor Salome of the Herodians
                                    appears to fit that bill.

                                  • Grondin
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 18, 2002
                                      [Klaus Schilling]:
                                      > Anything excluding Thomas' Salome from being one of the Maccabian
                                      > princesses?

                                      Sorry, Klaus, I obviously misunderstood the question - most probably because
                                      I've read nothing at all about the continued existence of the
                                      Maccabees/Hasmonians after Herod came to power (ca 37-40 BCE) and sometime
                                      later had his Hasmonean wife (Mariamne I), her sons, and other prominent
                                      members of the family executed. It seems unlikely, as Frank observes, that
                                      there would have been any "princesses" left, though I suppose distant
                                      relatives might still have considered themselves successors to the throne
                                      for some period of time. What can you tell us about this subject?