Re: [GTh] dichotomies in Thomas

  • William Arnal
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2001
      Ron McCann wrote:

      >How does one get to it, Bill? I'd like to read it. Pardon my >ignorance,
      >but
      >that URL only gets me to the message site with no obvious links to the
      >article..

      That was my fault, sorry -- as Andrew Smith already helpfully indicated, the
      correct URL is:

      Bill
    • Tom Saunders
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2001
        I enjoyed William Arnal's article and would like to address a couple of
        points in regard to it.

        As to the point of understanding Thomas as a product of the semantic time
        slot, there seems to be no discernable 'now code' language in the text. This
        meaning code, as to the time of Thomas has to be changes that took place
        in the 'elaborated code' of the time. This gives Thomas an intentional
        clarity that the writers would have perceived necessary for the document
        to be of use to future generations. The writers must have realized that
        the text would be translated into other languages which makes 'now coded'
        language very damaging to semantic content.

        There is no question that the text is directed to a utility for different
        people. The parables are well explained in Matthew as how Jesus addressed
        the multitudes.

        This is impoortant to understand because Jesus not only used parables
        but symbolism which can distort the intended meaning if you do not understand
        the context and intention for a particular audience. For instance references
        to the spirit, Satan, the soul and God can be highly misunderstood, and are.

        Thomas and Mary refer to demons as internal, psychological concepts. Mark,
        Luke and others refer to them as external, and seperate from the individual.
        This is one way the Pharisees have hidden the keys of knowledge.

        Tom