Re: [GTh] dichotomies in Thomas

  • Ron McCann
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2001
      How does one get to it, Bill? I'd like to read it. Pardon my ignorance, but
      that URL only gets me to the message site with no obvious links to the
      article..

      Ron McCann

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2001
        --- In gthomas@y..., "Ron McCann" <ronmccann1@d...> wrote:
        > How does one get to it, Bill? I'd like to read it. Pardon my
        ignorance, but
        > that URL only gets me to the message site with no obvious links to
        the
        > article..
        >
        > Ron

        It's at

        Best

        Andrew Smith
      • William Arnal
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2001
          Ron McCann wrote:

          >How does one get to it, Bill? I'd like to read it. Pardon my >ignorance,
          >but
          >that URL only gets me to the message site with no obvious links to the
          >article..

          That was my fault, sorry -- as Andrew Smith already helpfully indicated, the
          correct URL is:

          Bill
        • Tom Saunders
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7, 2001
            I enjoyed William Arnal's article and would like to address a couple of
            points in regard to it.

            As to the point of understanding Thomas as a product of the semantic time
            slot, there seems to be no discernable 'now code' language in the text. This
            meaning code, as to the time of Thomas has to be changes that took place
            in the 'elaborated code' of the time. This gives Thomas an intentional
            clarity that the writers would have perceived necessary for the document
            to be of use to future generations. The writers must have realized that
            the text would be translated into other languages which makes 'now coded'
            language very damaging to semantic content.

            There is no question that the text is directed to a utility for different
            people. The parables are well explained in Matthew as how Jesus addressed
            the multitudes.

            This is impoortant to understand because Jesus not only used parables
            but symbolism which can distort the intended meaning if you do not understand
            the context and intention for a particular audience. For instance references
            to the spirit, Satan, the soul and God can be highly misunderstood, and are.

            Thomas and Mary refer to demons as internal, psychological concepts. Mark,
            Luke and others refer to them as external, and seperate from the individual.
            This is one way the Pharisees have hidden the keys of knowledge.

            Tom