RE: [GTh] Help on Modes and Metaphors of Cognition in GTh?

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2001
      [Rick]:
      >Geeez I wish I had not included this table in my previous post-

      Dunno why. Although it may have diverted direct attention from the abstract
      issue, the mulling over of particulars may also have indirectly clarified
      the general issue. I find this often to be so in my own thinking.

      >The question I have is whether one's coming in and
      >going out empty is good or bad. In the classical gnostic sense,
      >when one comes into the world, one does so as a spark of the
      >divine. It is only after one arrives in the world that one
      >accumulates the baggage of body and corruption. So, if when one
      >dies and leaves that all behind, does one leave empty? Is that
      >not a good thing? Does 28.3b have anything to do with this in the
      >first place?

      I think so. Bear in mind the Hymn of the Pearl, wherein the heavenly figure
      is sent to earth to get something of value. Similarly, the reader of GTh is
      evidently supposed to get something out of it - whether some piece(s) of
      wisdom which would prepare him/her for the journey back, or a state of
      being (filled with pneuma) that would facilitate that "journey", or both,
      I'm not sure. In this regard, the saying "If you don't find me while you're
      alive, you won't find me later" (rough paraphrase) seems appropriate. So
      while it's true that it's good to be empty of worldly stuff, it apparently
      ain't good to be empty of (Christian) spiritual stuff when you die. As you
      say, similar to the 'thirsty/drunk' pair in that whether it's good or bad
      depends on the object.

      As to the 'apocalypsis/mysterion' pair, what you say seems right, though
      how it would translate into table-entries, or even whether it should be
      included at all, I'm not sure. Maybe as parenthetical additions, as in
      'hidden (mysterion)' versus 'revealed (apocalypsis)'? But then, if you're
      going to de-emphasize the particulars anyway, you're probably more
      interested in the implications of the discussion of this pair for the
      abstract distinction(s) you're trying to draw.