RE: [GTh] who made me a divider? #72

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 27, 2001
      Jim,

      Thanks for clarifying the "image verse" reference and for more
      clearly stating your interest in un-packing the "meaning" of GTh
      72.

      I confess that at first I was a little skeptical about your
      suggested connection between Logia 72 and 22. I remain
      unpersuaded about *some* of what you say, BUT your remarks did
      make me read both of those texts more carefully than I have
      previously.

      There is much that can be said about GTh 72 (but I'll spare you,
      for now, from most of it). Instead I'll just mention that the
      structure and content of this pericope is intriguing. It is
      packed with ambiguity, it *may* be engaging in word play, and it
      seems to exhibit some evidence of editorial tampering (exactly of
      the sort that Bill Arnal's article suggests). It appears to me
      also that its "unity" or "integrity" as a saying needs to be more
      carefully examined. Finally, there does indeed seem to be a
      juxtaposition of opposites at work between it and saying 22. I've
      written waaaayyyy to much about this and so I need to distill it
      to a page or two before I post it for review and comment on the
      list. I just did not want you to think I was ignoring your
      previous note.

      Rick Hubbard
      Humble Maine Woodsman
      Where
      6 months of snow,
      4 months of Black Flies,
      2 months of "Mud Season"
      are nature's way of keeping Tourists from becoming Residents!