Re: [GTh] Is Gth a Gnostic Document?

  • Jim Bauer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2001
      My vote is "sort of". I believe that the "source(s)" of Thomas--Jewish
      apocalypticism & Philonic philosophy, perhaps with some Neoplatonic
      overtones--were likely closer to what eventually became "orthodox" Xianity
      but the "translation/redaction" closer to Gnosticism. I state the latter as
      there's an extremely poor translation of a fragment of Plato's Republic in
      the NHL. It seems possible that the translators & scribes reworked it to
      fit into the contemporary thought of the Coptic community in which GTh was
      discovered.

      Jim Bauer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 2001
        Some of the group may be interested to know that The Gnostic Apostle Thomas,
        which I put on the Internet four years ago, is now available in print from
        Xlibris. I did not try to update it, so it does not take into account the
        many interesting discussions of the Gospel of Thomas that have taken place
        since its original appearance, although many of the issues still debated are
        pointed out. Anyone interested can find the book now online at
        www.xlibris.com/bookstore, or through e-mail at orders@... or through
        mail at the Xlibris address. Later on it will be avilable through Amazon,
        etc. Thanks to all for group’s work. Chris Merillat
      • Steve Allison
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2001
          Great News! I copied your article off of Steve Davies site several years
          ago and read it several times. I will order one soon from Xlibris.

          Thanks

          Steve Allison