RE: [GTh] Re: GTh 20: The Parable of the Mustard Seed and GTh 21:The Parable of the Children in the Field

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 7, 2001
      Rick Hubbard laments:

      >>If there was a way that I could configure this computer to prevent
      me from typing certain words unless I confirmed about six times that I
      really wanted to use them, then two of those words would be "original"
      and "originality." <<

      Yes you can.

      Presuming that your e-mail software's built-in editor (or the WP you
      use as an e-mail editor) performs a spell check before sending the
      message, just find the way into your spell checking dictionary and
      erase the entries for "original" and "originality." Then it will
      always prompt you with a dialogue box seeking confirmation when it
      encounters these words, offering you alternative words, etc. If you
      say "yes accept this word" it will probably ask you again in a
      different way just to be sure.

      I may well do that sort of thing myself with words like "merely,"
      "simply," "obviously," and other words often used in a dismissive
      sense, just to prevent me from falling into the trap of dismissing
      evidence contrary to my pet hypotheses for the sake of convenience.

      Respectfully,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA