RE: [GTh] GTh 82 - Fire & Kingdom

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2001
      In view of what John and David say, which is essentially correct, and
      since Coptic or Greek are not *regularly* used on this list, do you
      not think it would be just as well to stick with transliterations?

      Rick
    • David C. Hindley
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2001
        Rick Hubbard asks:

        >>do you not think it would be just as well to stick with
        transliterations?<<

        I have to agree. Unless everyone has HTML capable e-mail software
        *and* the same fonts loaded on their computers, there will always be
        conflicts displaying messages containing sections of a foreign
        language font. The internet was designed to send ASCII text messages
        only, and I'm afraid that transliterations using ASCII characters is
        the only common solution for the time being.

        However, I do agree with Mike that some transliteration schemes are
        harder to intuitively grasp than others. Too many characters like
        @#$%^&*()<>|\/ (especially for some of the Semitic languages) in a
        scheme make it hard for me to easily sound out the word in my head.
        However, Haven't I seen a scheme much like Mike's Coptic scheme used
        in printed books?

        Respectfully,

        Dave Hindley
        Cleveland, Ohio, USA