RE: [GTh] GTh 82 - Fire & Kingdom

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2001
      John Moon said:

      >>However if you have the Greek and or Coptic in the Type it may well
      appear. Such as �,p,O�,?, if so it is only because it is programming
      language I believe.<<

      It is all just plain ol' ASCII. I think that if you specify a font in
      an HTML message sent to the list, the character's numeric value will
      be converted to its standard ASCII equivalent. Each computer has
      standard font(s), and I think some web browsers and e-mail programs
      let you specify different fonts for display within their enviroment.

      Perhaps if the font specified in an HTML message uses some sort of
      special combination of ASCII characters for each letter, then the
      computer does not know what to show on the screen. That's my guess,
      anyhow. The "�,�" type characters may work as upper ASCII characters
      in some "standard" Western/Latin font sets like Windows standard.

      Respectfully,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2001
        In view of what John and David say, which is essentially correct, and
        since Coptic or Greek are not *regularly* used on this list, do you
        not think it would be just as well to stick with transliterations?

        Rick
      • David C. Hindley
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2001
          Rick Hubbard asks:

          >>do you not think it would be just as well to stick with
          transliterations?<<

          I have to agree. Unless everyone has HTML capable e-mail software
          *and* the same fonts loaded on their computers, there will always be
          conflicts displaying messages containing sections of a foreign
          language font. The internet was designed to send ASCII text messages
          only, and I'm afraid that transliterations using ASCII characters is
          the only common solution for the time being.

          However, I do agree with Mike that some transliteration schemes are
          harder to intuitively grasp than others. Too many characters like
          @#$%^&*()<>|\/ (especially for some of the Semitic languages) in a
          scheme make it hard for me to easily sound out the word in my head.
          However, Haven't I seen a scheme much like Mike's Coptic scheme used
          in printed books?

          Respectfully,

          Dave Hindley
          Cleveland, Ohio, USA