Re: [GTh] The Origin of the Man Eating the Lion Imagery

  • Isidoros
    Message 1 of 4 , May 10, 2001
      Wrote Frank McCoy, on 9 May 2001:

      > Franz Cumont (p. 159) has a photo of a Mithraic communion discovered in
      >Konjica, Bosnia. In it, there is a pair (i.e., a Raven grade initiate and a
      >Persian grade initiate) to the left of the communion table and another pair
      >(i.e., a Soldier grade initiate and a Lion grade initiate) to the right of
      >the communion table. What is intriguing is that this is an eating scene and
      >there are, together as a pair, a human (the Soldier grade initiate) and a
      >lion (the Lion grade initiate). Might not this conceptual interlinking of
      >eating, a man, and a lion have something to do with the development of the
      >imagery, in GTh 7, of a man eating a lion and a lion eating a man?

      Dear Frank,
      I would not identify that Soldier with the "man" (or even "human,"
      as put above) of the GTh #7 . Besides, it is not the Soldier, only,
      within the frame described, that is "man."

      While certainly we must not ignore or let symbols go by unexamined,
      by the same we must not look too far, stretching the symbolic beyond
      a properly allowing context-- else we are bound to get lost
      within our own, self-made, illusionary schemata.
      Isidoros