RE: [GTh] An Interesting GThomas "Link"

    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2001
      Mike, I am in full agreement with your assessment of the value of indices
      and concordances of English translations (on the intratext site and
      elsewhere). What I found much more interesting on this particular site,
      however, was the construction of the "author's" canonical parallels (option
      4 at the root page). Its my fault, I suppose, for not calling attention to
      that in the first place.

      At the same time, your criticism of the limitations of such search methods
      points directly at a solution (although you don't exactly spell it out).
      That solution would be to adopt the "technology" of English language
      searches to original languages such a Coptic, Greek and Hebrew. The sticky
      issue that requires compatible fonts for server (web-page) and client
      (web-browser) are still problematic, but I suspect as the Unicode standards
      continue to be refined, and as new Active Server Page (asp) capabilities
      evolve, such a task will be fairly easy to accomplish.

      Sound like this would be a good spare time project for you, Mike.

      Rick Hubbard
      Humble Maine Woodsman
    • David C. Hindley
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2001
        Mike,

        >>Fortunately, I only had a limited object in mind - to show that
        Justin used the phrase at least once. Also fortunately, the phrase in
        question was translated in the expected way.<<

        Yes, the same problem we experience when using an English concordance
        based on the KJV when we are normally reading the RSV or NRSV, etc.
        This is, I think, the reason for the popularity of Strongs Numbers as
        a tool among English-only readers.

        It gets worse when we consider that advances in our understanding of
        the texts means that the different translations, made over time, may
        leave out verses contained in the others, etc. Strongs, I think, is
        keyed to the KJV (I don't own a copy, preferring Youngs Analytical
        Concordance when I have recourse to use one). Very messy stuff, and
        Strongs cannot help with problems like this.

        Young's, incidentally, has a section of the concordance dedicated to
        showing all the English words used to render each Hebrew and Greek
        (according to their lexical form, and ignoring common verbs or
        particles, etc.). As a result, if you know the lexical form of a
        Hebrew or Greek word, you can find the English renderings, and from
        that look up each English word in the concordance proper. Kind of a
        kludgey way to do it, but it works.

        The GoT, though, is not an excessively long document. I suppose that a
        crafty program developer could find a way to create a database program
        that could make just such a search (going either direction if set up
        right) much easier. <hint, hint>

        Regards,

        Dave Hindley
        Cleveland, Ohio, USA