RE: [GTh] Tatian on Soul & Spirit

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2001
      Mike said:

      >>This result indicates to me that the phrase 'SoM' was probably used
      in the versions of the gospels with which Justin was familiar, hence
      that, if added at all, it must have been added pre-Justin, hence
      pre-Harmony and pre-Diatessaron, thus casting severe doubt on the
      argument from harmonies. Do you agree? Or how would you put it?<<

      Well, the occasions were:

      1st Apology LI (citing Dan 7:13, although calling the source
      Jeremiah),

      2nd Apology XXXI (again quoting Dan 7:9-28 as referring to Christ's
      power),

      Dialogue XXXII "Trypho said, 'These and such like Scriptures, sir,
      compel us to wait for Him who, as Son of man, receives from the
      Ancient of days the everlasting kingdom',"

      Dialogue LXXVI Again refers to Dan 7 (but not quoting) and linking it
      to Luke 9:22,

      Dialogue LXXIX Again refers to Dan 7,

      Dialogue C quotes Matt 16:21, explaining that "He said then that He
      was the Son of man, either because of His birth by the Virgin, who
      was, as I said, of the family of David and Jacob, and Isaac, and
      Abraham; or because Adam was the father both of Himself and of those
      who have been first enumerated from whom Mary derives her descent,"

      Dialogue CXXVI alludes to Dan 7 among proofs that the scriptures
      foretold Christ.

      Prior to Justin, the term is used by the authors of the following
      letters (although I'd hesitate to give any credence to any but the
      first of these as genuine productions):

      Ignatius Ephesians XX (short Greek version) "Jesus Christ, who was of
      the seed of David according to the flesh, being both the Son of man
      and the Son of God,"

      Ignatius Trallians IX (long Greek version) "At the dawning of the
      Lord's day He arose from the dead, according to what was spoken by
      Himself, 'As Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's
      belly, so shall the Son of man also be three days and three nights in
      the heart of the earth.' (Matt 12:40)"

      Barnabas XII "Behold again: Jesus who was manifested, both by type and
      in the flesh (alluding to 1 Tim 3:16?), is not the Son of man, but the
      Son of God."

      Regards,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    • David C. Hindley
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2001
        Oops!

        >>2nd Apology XXXI (again quoting Dan 7:9-28 as referring to Christ's
        power),<<

        Apparently I made an error...

        That should have been Dialogue XXXI. I must have lost my place in the
        document.

        Regards,

        Dave Hindley
        Cleveland, Ohio, USA