RE: [GTh] Tatian on Soul & Spirit

    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2001
      Dave Hindley wrote:
      >... Justin [used 'SoM'] (a good half dozen times, maybe up to 10) ...

      Thanks, Dave. Saved me from a lot of tedious work, being as how I was doing
      it the hard way. This result indicates to me that the phrase 'SoM' was
      probably used in the versions of the gospels with which Justin was
      familiar, hence that, if added at all, it must have been added pre-Justin,
      hence pre-Harmony and pre-Diatessaron, thus casting severe doubt on the
      argument from harmonies. Do you agree? Or how would you put it?

    • David C. Hindley
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2001
        Mike said:

        >>This result indicates to me that the phrase 'SoM' was probably used
        in the versions of the gospels with which Justin was familiar, hence
        that, if added at all, it must have been added pre-Justin, hence
        pre-Harmony and pre-Diatessaron, thus casting severe doubt on the
        argument from harmonies. Do you agree? Or how would you put it?<<

        Well, the occasions were:

        1st Apology LI (citing Dan 7:13, although calling the source
        Jeremiah),

        2nd Apology XXXI (again quoting Dan 7:9-28 as referring to Christ's
        power),

        Dialogue XXXII "Trypho said, 'These and such like Scriptures, sir,
        compel us to wait for Him who, as Son of man, receives from the
        Ancient of days the everlasting kingdom',"

        Dialogue LXXVI Again refers to Dan 7 (but not quoting) and linking it
        to Luke 9:22,

        Dialogue LXXIX Again refers to Dan 7,

        Dialogue C quotes Matt 16:21, explaining that "He said then that He
        was the Son of man, either because of His birth by the Virgin, who
        was, as I said, of the family of David and Jacob, and Isaac, and
        Abraham; or because Adam was the father both of Himself and of those
        who have been first enumerated from whom Mary derives her descent,"

        Dialogue CXXVI alludes to Dan 7 among proofs that the scriptures
        foretold Christ.

        Prior to Justin, the term is used by the authors of the following
        letters (although I'd hesitate to give any credence to any but the
        first of these as genuine productions):

        Ignatius Ephesians XX (short Greek version) "Jesus Christ, who was of
        the seed of David according to the flesh, being both the Son of man
        and the Son of God,"

        Ignatius Trallians IX (long Greek version) "At the dawning of the
        Lord's day He arose from the dead, according to what was spoken by
        Himself, 'As Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's
        belly, so shall the Son of man also be three days and three nights in
        the heart of the earth.' (Matt 12:40)"

        Barnabas XII "Behold again: Jesus who was manifested, both by type and
        in the flesh (alluding to 1 Tim 3:16?), is not the Son of man, but the
        Son of God."

        Regards,

        Dave Hindley
        Cleveland, Ohio, USA
      • David C. Hindley
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2001
          Oops!

          >>2nd Apology XXXI (again quoting Dan 7:9-28 as referring to Christ's
          power),<<

          Apparently I made an error...

          That should have been Dialogue XXXI. I must have lost my place in the
          document.

          Regards,

          Dave Hindley
          Cleveland, Ohio, USA