Re: JS uses KJV Controversy

  • smithand44@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 49 , May 3, 2001
      --- In gthomas@y..., William Arnal <wea1@i...> wrote:

      > Since there are NO extant first century Christian documents written
      in any
      > semitic language, this is really irrelevant.

      Just as an aside, isn't the Odes of Solomon arguably Christian,
      arguably 1C and arguably in its original language (Syriac)?

      > Plain and simple: you don't get Ph.D's in
      > biblical scholarship by working with translations. I'm actually
      shocked that
      > anyone would even think this.
      >
      > Bill

      I know this is an exception, but Stevan Davies, for whom I have
      really the highest regard, doesn't seem to be very at home in Greek
      and seems to know no Coptic. But it's a lovely image, the Jesus
      Seminar all poring over their leatherbound copies of the King James
      Version...

      Best Wishes

      Andrew Smith
    • odell mcguire
      Message 49 of 49 , May 4, 2001
        George,

        You wrote in re GThom86:

        >This interpretation has three things going for it, in my view. First,
        >it reveals GTh 86 to be pithy and powerful, two characteristics
        >generally attributed to Jesus' aphorisms. . .
        <SNIP>
        >Second, it echoes a common theme in Thomas, that of conflicting
        >internal natures, the pre-Fall identity vs. the post-Fall identity.
        >Third, if indeed Jesus was a mystic/teacher, you would expect that he
        >would teach what for mystics everywhere is almost a truism: To find
        >peace or "rest" you must identify with what is most divine in yourself
        >and disconnect from everything that is not. So I see the Jesus of
        >Thomas as more interested in this kind of "rest" than in the comfort
        >of having a home or shelter.
        >Thanks,
        >George Duffy

        And I wrote in re a portion of your letter which ended with the above that I
        found 'little to agree with' in it. I read in too much of a damn hurry for which
        I apologize. I am in reasonably close agreement with all three of these
        propositions and they are certainly worth noting. But in disagreement with the
        snipped portion I fail to see how the excellent points you have made apply to
        your interpretation of SOM as 'mankind' and not mine of SOM as a self reference
        of Jesus as human being, his aphoristic self, to Jesus as prophet, who spreads
        the word of the HS. Think about it. Its something of a gestalt.

        --
        Best wishes, Odell

        Odell McGuire
        omcguire@...