Rabbi Hanninah ben Dosa>hom 7

  • Steve Allison
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2001
      Its great that there's some action on GThom after a long lull. In
      Crossan's book on the Historical Jesus he discusses a revered rabbi named
      Hanninah who lived about the time of Jesus and before the destruction of
      the 2nd temple. The following is one of several passages in the Mishna
      which relate a story about him. There's a similar structure to this
      passage and GThom 7.

      Tosefta, Berakoth 3:20

      They related about R. Haninah b. Dosa that once while he was reciting the
      Prayer, a poisonous lizard bit him, but he did not interrupt (his recitation).

      His students went and found it (the lizard) dead at the entrance to its hole.

      They said, "Woe to the man who is bitten by a lizard. Woe to the lizard
      that bites Ben Dosa."

      Perhaps this type of contrast of a human and animal with woe/luck and a
      reversal was common in discourse in those days. And, verse 7 comes from
      and builds on such a 1st century Jewish provenance?

      Steve Allison
      Knoxville, TN
    • smithand44@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 29, 2001
        --- In gthomas@y..., Steve Allison <dermarc@c...> wrote:
        > Its great that there's some action on GThom after a long lull. In
        > Crossan's book on the Historical Jesus he discusses a revered rabbi
        named
        > Hanninah who lived about the time of Jesus and before the
        destruction of
        > the 2nd temple. The following is one of several passages in the
        Mishna
        > which relate a story about him. There's a similar structure to
        this
        > passage and GThom 7.
        >

        > Tosefta, Berakoth 3:20
        >
        > They related about R. Haninah b. Dosa that once while he was
        reciting the
        > Prayer, a poisonous lizard bit him, but he did not interrupt (his
        recitation).

        > His students went and found it (the lizard) dead at the entrance to
        its hole.

        > They said, "Woe to the man who is bitten by a lizard. Woe to the
        lizard
        > that bites Ben Dosa."
        >
        > Perhaps this type of contrast of a human and animal with woe/luck
        and a
        > reversal was common in discourse in those days. And, verse 7 comes
        from
        > and builds on such a 1st century Jewish provenance?
        >

        > Steve Allison
        > Knoxville, TN

        Yes, I pointed this out a while ago on the list (9/13/99). But here's
        Steve Davies' response:

        I think it would be an interesting parallel if it said "blessed is
        the snake which has bitten R HbD." The problem with GTh 7 is that the
        final clause seems to be just wrong. Any final clause in a parallel
        should be inappropriate to context for it to be a useful parallel.I
        think it would be an interesting parallel if it said "blessed is
        the snake which has bitten R HbD." The problem with GTh 7 is that the
        final clause seems to be just wrong. Any final clause in a parallel
        should be inappropriate to context for it to be a useful parallel.

        Best

        Andrew Smith