Re: #7 and Paul Again

  • smithand44@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2001
      --- In gthomas@y..., mgrondin@t... wrote:
      > --- Andrew Smith wrote:
      > > And my interpretation: it's good for a man to take in difficult
      > > teaching (or just to eat unclean food) and the food will become
      > > part of the man; it's bad if the man is consumed by the difficult
      > > teaching (or just by eating unclean food), but the food will still
      > > become part of the man.
      >
      > I'm still trying to digest <g> your argument, Andrew. In the
      > meantime, could you comment on the relevance (or lack thereof)
      > of 11.3:
      >
      > "The days (wherein) you (pl) were eating that which is dead,
      > you were making it that which lives, (but) when you should
      > come to be in the Light, what will you do?"
      >
      > Regards,
      > Mike

      I hadn't thought of it. I think that the strongest part of my
      argument is that GThomas #7 isn't textually corrupt, because of the
      similar structure of the examples from Paul. Then, since Romans 4:6
      is concerned with eating unclean food & GThomas 7 has the eating
      motif, I suggest that #7 is concerned with unclean food. Then,
      without much justification, since Paul uses eating metaphorically, I
      suggest that this might apply to Thomas. (I suppose that eating
      unclean foods would metaphorically refer to some sort of non-Judaic
      teaching.)
      With regard to 11.3 I have difficulty understanding what the first
      part has to do with the second. The first part could refer to food,
      unclean food, or a metaphorical usage... Perhaps I need to look at
      eating in GThomas as a whole.

      Andrew Smith