Re: #7 and Paul Again

  • g
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27 10:24 AM
      Mike,

      Forgive my commenting on your question to Andrew.

      You asked about:
      " "The days (wherein) you (pl) were eating that which is dead,
      > you were making it that which lives, (but) when you should
      > come to be in the Light, what will you do?"

      Could this have anything to do with a lifestyle
      similar to the Therapeutae? They were said to eat and
      take care of bodily needs at NIGHT, because they reserved
      the LIGHT part of the day to celebration of god and
      LIGHT. And the reference to "eating that which is dead"
      could be a general reference to ANY kind of eating, or a
      more specific reference to "you (pl)" being flesh eaters.

      Using this kind of interpretation, it sounds as if
      the writer is criticizing the lack of spirituality of
      these persons (pl) who are not using the DAYLIGHT hours
      to good advantage.

      George
    • smithand44@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28 12:14 AM
        --- In gthomas@y..., mgrondin@t... wrote:
        > --- Andrew Smith wrote:
        > > And my interpretation: it's good for a man to take in difficult
        > > teaching (or just to eat unclean food) and the food will become
        > > part of the man; it's bad if the man is consumed by the difficult
        > > teaching (or just by eating unclean food), but the food will still
        > > become part of the man.
        >
        > I'm still trying to digest <g> your argument, Andrew. In the
        > meantime, could you comment on the relevance (or lack thereof)
        > of 11.3:
        >
        > "The days (wherein) you (pl) were eating that which is dead,
        > you were making it that which lives, (but) when you should
        > come to be in the Light, what will you do?"
        >
        > Regards,
        > Mike

        I hadn't thought of it. I think that the strongest part of my
        argument is that GThomas #7 isn't textually corrupt, because of the
        similar structure of the examples from Paul. Then, since Romans 4:6
        is concerned with eating unclean food & GThomas 7 has the eating
        motif, I suggest that #7 is concerned with unclean food. Then,
        without much justification, since Paul uses eating metaphorically, I
        suggest that this might apply to Thomas. (I suppose that eating
        unclean foods would metaphorically refer to some sort of non-Judaic
        teaching.)
        With regard to 11.3 I have difficulty understanding what the first
        part has to do with the second. The first part could refer to food,
        unclean food, or a metaphorical usage... Perhaps I need to look at
        eating in GThomas as a whole.

        Andrew Smith