Re: [gthom] Dating GThomas

  • ronmccann1@infree.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2001
      Bravo, Jeff.

      I've been waiting for someone to raise this. A careful reading of Paul
      suggests that he may have seen a copy of Thomas as early as 54 AD. An
      allusion to the same saying is found in the Prayer of Paul the Apostle that
      appears in the opening of the Jung Codex.. I think someone was circulating a
      copy and sent one to the Corinthians and they accused Paul of withholding
      teachings from them. You have to read between the line of course. In my
      humble opinion Thomas in some original form may date to before this, and I
      also suspect that Thomas, Q and Mark all borrowed from a still earlier
      sayings collection possibly put together by the Apostle Matthew. The Timothy
      letter also seem to be railing against Thomasine Christians. I think the
      best view is that at least some of Thomas predates even Mark and Q.

      Ron McCann