Dating GThomas

  • Jeff and Rosie Fyffe
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2001
      Gentlemen,
      By no means am I a scholar. I was fortunate to stumble across this particular forum recently. I am curious as to the consensus of this group for the dating of Thomas. I understand that most scholars affirm late first and second century as the time Thomas was likely put together. I would be willing to place the dating of Thomas earlier still. Paul writing to Corinth 1 Cor 2:9-10(a) virtually quotes Th 17. Many scholars have held that the statement "as it is written" could only mean a reference to Isaiah 64:4. My opinion is that Paul is quoting (or paraphrasing) what he has read. This leads me to believe that Thomas must have been extant mid first century. That would be decades before the 4G.
      I find the connections between Thomas and the teachings of Paul to be fascinating.
      Jeffrey Fyffe