bonfire

  • joseph baxter
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2001
      One generally accepted historical fact about GThomas is that it died out.
      We might want to think about why that was. The easy answer is that it was
      labelled heretical. Or that it was pigeon-holed as non-canonical. Or that
      there were church leaders who ran roughshod on those who respected it.
      Mainstream Christianity, however, suffered lots of persecutions and
      survived. Why didn't GThomas gain enough steam to survive except on paper?

      One of my recurring thoughts on this is that there is not quite enough
      there to provide a living religion, i.e., something one would want to live
      by. Yes, there is an atmanistic theme, but it doesn't quite light the
      bonfires. 4G did.

      Could this be because the author(s) [or transcribers] felt a need to be
      obscure? Or was it because the author(s) didn't fully grasp their subject
      matter?

      Or maybe the desert got to it? Both Jesus and Socrates seemed to thrive in
      cities and towns. Perhaps the seeds of Thomas fell on soil that was too dry .

      Undoubtedly, I am simplifying. But during the last few months this site
      has been kind of desert-ed. Would anyone care to light a bonfire?

      Joe Baxter