Re: [gthomas] The 'Sermon on the Light'

  • Jim Bauer
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 22, 2000
      From: "Steve Allison" <dermarc@...>
      To: <gthomas@egroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, December 22, 2000 5:08 AM
      Subject: Re: [gthomas] The 'Sermon on the Light'

      > At 04:36 PM 12/18/2000 -0700, Jim Bauer wrote:
      > .
      > .
      >
      > >In short, I believe there is a reason for the culturally-derived
      symbolism
      > >of "light". For that reason this is archetypal at the genetic level but
      > >simply lacking much validity at the memetic one where cultural selection
      > >begins.
      >
      > Lot of good material. I don't quite understand the phrase " but
      > simply lacking much validity at the memetic one where cultural selection
      > begins." Could you help me out?

      Read the chapter in Dawkins' _The Selfish Gene_ where he first developed the
      idea. (There iss probably also a lot of good material on the web.) A
      "meme" is a replicating system like the genetic code but applies to
      non-biological evolutionary systems such as mind & culture.

      This fits solidly into Lewontin's definition of evolution as "heritability,
      variability (such as mutation & cross-over on the genetic level) &
      selection." Among the fallacies fundamentalists use to rationalize special
      creation is "the fixity of species". However, there is nothing to keep new
      species from evolving. I like to think metaphorically about the paradigm
      shift between Newtonian & relativistic physics. For Newton space was
      "fixed" whereas modern physics has shown that everything depends on "frame
      of reference". Certainly evolution has occurred in languages. Latin is
      dead but French, Spanish & Italian preserve its ancestry.

      I hope this helps.

      Jim Bauer