Re: [gthomas] The 'Sermon on the Light'

  • Jim Bauer
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 22, 2000
      From: "Steve Allison" <dermarc@...>
      To: <gthomas@egroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, December 22, 2000 5:02 AM
      Subject: Re: [gthomas] The 'Sermon on the Light'

      > At 08:57 PM 12/17/2000 -0800, James Bean wrote:
      >
      > >What I call: "THE SERMON ON THE LIGHT" -- various sayings attributed
      > >to Jesus on 'seeing' and 'Light' from several gospels, canonical and
      > >extra-canonical.
      > .

      My belief is that light is the first thing
      > that an in-utero human perceives. All that the little thing knows is
      light
      > and being. There is no differentiation between I and Thou or I and
      > it. Just incredible bliss. Basking in the glow and feeling utter
      > dependence and reliance. It is probably this state that certain mystics
      > are able to attain/recall. It is quite natural, when later one acquires
      > language, to describe the experience as union with God, union with the
      light.

      This is also likely an instance of ontogeny recapitulating phylogeny as
      "light" & "dark" is among the first which the ancestors which primitive
      species encountered.>

      > We are products of evolution and the symbolism of light and dark is
      > culturally and genetically derived as Jim Bauer says in his 12/18
      > post. For me, it is meaningful to explore both avenues of approach to
      > these symbols, James Bean's study of quotes from an ancient source and Jim
      > Bauer's study of evolution.

      Thank you for the kind words. Everything I know about evolution &
      materialism as a philosophy of science was taught me by Bill Wimsatt at the
      University of Chicago.

      Jim Bauer

    • Jim Bauer
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 22, 2000