Re: [[gthomas] Saying 86 // Matt. 8.20 puns]

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2000
      From: "Eric Laupot" <elaupot@...>
      To: <gthomas@egroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2000 7:11 PM
      Subject: Re: [[gthomas] Saying 86 // Matt. 8.20 puns]

      > "Jon Peter" <jnp@...> wrote:
      > Can anyone refer me to articles or books that take note of the puns in the
      > semitic version of this saying? Thanks - J.
      >

      > Dear Jon,
      >
      > Offhand (and I may be wrong), I don't believe
      > there are any puns here in the semitic version.
      > The place to look, though, would be with the
      > following three authors who have written
      > on the Aramaic origins of the Gospels: Frank
      > Zimmermann (1981?), Matthew Black, and Charles Cutler
      > Torrey. I checked Torrey's two books though, and he
      > has nothing on Matt 8.20.
      >
      > However, I would point to one interesting detail
      > in Matt 8.20 that has never, to my knowledge,
      > been discussed. In the Greek, Jesus says he has
      > no place to *recline* his head, not lay his head,
      > as in the English translation. Jews at Passover
      > recline their bodies at table on cushions, in
      > memory of the flight to freedom and exodus from
      > Egypt. It is possible this was also the custom
      > in Jesus' time since the Passover Seder has
      > probably changed little over the last
      > 2000 years in terms of its more important aspects. In
      > other words, Jesus may have been
      > suggesting that not only was he unable to relax
      > and recline as they do at Passover, he couldn't even
      > recline his head! In other words, he wasn't really
      > free. In turn, this may have been because,
      > as suggested in John 7 and 9 (I believe, more or less),
      > there was a Roman criminal arrest warrant out for him.
      >
      > Sorry I couldn't be more definite about this, however.

      If it helps, the Aramaic vox Iesu would have been something like:

      }whl ty) )(qn )l(tl

      They have holes the foxes

      )ll+m )ym$d )txrplw

      nests of the skies and the birds

      )$n)d }yd hrbl

      of Man but the Son

      h$r \wms}d )ky) hl tyl

      his head he should lay (place) where no has

      leTHOla NEEkeh eeth leHON
      waleferECHtha dishMAya meeteLA
      leBAreh deen deNASHa layt leh EEka deneesMOK RESHech

      Other than the anarthrous noun "son of Man" noted by Fitzmyer,
      I do not see a play on words.

      Jack

      -----

      Jack Kilmon
      North Hollywood, Ca.
      jkilmon@...

      http://www.historian.net

      sharing a meal for free.
      http://www.thehungersite.com/

    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2000
        I had used a 1st century Hebrew/Aramaic font for the Aramaic of Mt. 8:20 in
        HTML format but apparently it didn't "take." If anyone wants the
        Michigan-Claremont transliteration of the Aramaic pericope, I will do so.

        Jack