Re: Gospel of Thomas, Saying 61

  • James Bean
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2000

      > > What kind of "Light" is this Saying talking about?
      > > In my view the Gospel
      > > of Thomas is in the tradition of contemplative or
      > > mystical Christianity
      > > and the "Light" of Thomas referred to here is not
      > > metaphor but mystical.
      >
      > Interesting that Grondin's Interlinear Translation
      > shows # 61, "when he should come to be destroyed, he
      > will be full of light. When, however, he should come
      > to be divided, he will be full of darkness." The
      > Scholar's Translation shows, "if one is whole, one
      > will be filled with light, but if one is divided, one
      > will be filled with darkness." How does one reconcile
      > these differences?
      >
      > Vic

      Dear Vic:

      I've got all the translations of Thomas that I know of and, for me,
      the meaning isn't really changed. This new way of seeing leads to Light.
      If one's vision is transformed into something "whole" no longer divided,
      if one's reality is "destroyed," and replaced with something new, or
      "becomes <like> (God)," I see all three as attempting to describe a different
      kind of seeing that leads to "light." Also, from the New Testament,
      "If thine eye becomes single, thy whole body shll be full of light."

      I find the Gospel of Thomas to be promoting a new way of seeing that
      leads to Jesus=Kingdom=Light:

      what no eye has seen (17),

      seeing the Kingdom of the Father that is spread out upon the earth (114),

      seeing the light that is over All (77),

      seeing the hidden light in the image and the image of the Father hidden
      by his light (83),

      looking for the Living One, seeking to see him (59),

      seeing the one not born of women, the Father who should be worshipped
      (15),

      seeing the Father via true fasting and true sabbath-keeping (27),

      seeing the son of the living one ((37),

      recognizing in the present moment (91),

      having hidden things revealed (5,6, 108,)

      seeing the light within a person of light that shines upon the whole
      world (24),

      and, disciples that have come from the light (50).

      There are many sayings of Jesus about seeing or seeing the Father, recognizing
      that which is hidden from view, and Light.

      James

      To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
      all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com