Re: Saying 45

  • RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 29, 2000
      >> (1) "Grapes are not harvested from thorns, nor are figs picked
      >> from thistles, for they do not produce fruit.
      >> (2) A good person brings forth good from his treasure.
      >> (3) A bad person brings (forth) evil from the bad treasure
      >> that is in his heart, and (in fact) he speaks evil.
      >> (4) For out of the abundance of the heart he brings forth evil."
      >

      >This saying is hard to explain for those who believe that GThom's
      >position is that the kingdom is everywhere, or that there is no such
      >thing as an evil person. Here, an evil person is likened to a thing
      >which not only doesn't produce fruit, but *never can* produce fruit!
      >That's pretty strong, probably even stronger than the writer
      >intended, since it doesn't allow any room for repentence. Even
      >allowing for repentence, however, it's clear that such people, as
      >long as they maintain this evil treasure within their minds/hearts,
      >are not part of the kingdom.>>

      Perhaps the people referred to just aren't going to repent? This could
      reflect a belief in predestination.

      Regards,

      Robert Brenchley

      RSBrenchley@...
    • Andrew Smith
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 29, 2000
        > I take this as another piece of internal
        > evidence for the jigsaw puzzle theory, according to which the
        reader
        > is intended to rearrange parts of GoT - even to remove parts of it
        -
        > to form a different, more perfect, structure than appears at first.
        >
        > Mike
        I couldn't quite understand the first part of your post. But with
        your
        jigsaw puzzle theory aren't you just showing that a sayings list that
        is organised loosely by catchwords can be reorganised by choosing
        other catchwords?

        Best Wishes

        And
      • Jim Bauer
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 29, 2000
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 29, 2000
            Andrew Smith wrote:
            >... aren't you just showing that a sayings list that is organised
            > loosely by catchwords can be reorganised by choosing other catchwords?

            I hope to hell not. I certainly wouldn't be satisfied with any such thing.
            I think that the connections I'm pointing to in this example and others are
            connections of whole thoughts, not just catchwords. Mind you, it wouldn't
            be hard to find a better arrangement by catchword, since more contiguous
            pairs of sayings are *unconnected* by catchwords than are *connected*
            (according to Patterson's list). Furthermore, there are so many
            non-contiguous sayings connected by catchwords that I suspect (tho have
            never taken the trouble to try to prove) that the purported organization by
            catchword is nothing more than random distribution. In any case, I hope to
            show in the end that there is only one plausible reorganization, and that
            this must therefore have been intended by the Coptic authors. This would
            become clear, I think, if there were certain patterns of transformation (as
            opposed to each rearrangement being different from every other). As yet, I
            haven't discovered any such patterns, but as long as there is no
            satisfactory explanation for the separation of 6A from 14, I have to
            believe that it was intentional, and that this text may thus have been
            intended as some sort of initiatory exercise.

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 29, 2000
              Jim Bauer wrote:
              >This sounds like the "Bible codes" which are so popular with Fundamentalists
              >now. ...
              >The jigsaw puzzle is probably equally eroneous unless you can show how using
              >Thomas this way actually produces any more coherent view of the whole.

              As a logician and a firm believer in the scientific method, I hope to show
              much more than that. I hope to show (1) that there are patterns of
              transformation, (2) that the "solution" proceeds according to an orderly
              series of steps, and (3) that the end result is not only "more coherent",
              but virtually perfect in form and content. In other words, I hope to
              absolutely prove that it was the intention of the Coptic authors to devise
              a puzzle. A tall order, and not much progress has been made so far, but I
              wouldn't personally be satisfied with anything less. These occasional
              examples that I throw onto the list are not intended as any kind of proof,
              but merely to illustrate the kinds of things that support the intuition
              behind the hypothesis. (In actual fact, Th45 was currently being discussed
              on the GospelofThomas list, and my thinking about that saying evolved as I
              was writing my remarks to such an extent that it led to some results that
              surprised me, and I thought it might be worthwhile posting here also.)

              Mike
            • joseph baxter
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 29, 2000
                I don't see pre-destination in 45. In light of the abundance of the heart,
                we may have bad ideas in our heart, as well as good. We do not need to
                bring it forth. We can leave it unborn. The will still plays a role.

                This reminds me a little of James 3, how the tongue is like the rudder of
                a great ship. The tongue can bring forth good (fruit) or bad (thorns and
                thistles). If we could just be mindful of the tremendous power of our
                mastery of this little object.

                45, I suspect, has its roots well before Jesus.

                Joe Baxter

                At 04:15 PM 9/29/2000 , you wrote:
                > >> (1) "Grapes are not harvested from thorns, nor are figs picked
                > >> from thistles, for they do not produce fruit.
                > >> (2) A good person brings forth good from his treasure.
                > >> (3) A bad person brings (forth) evil from the bad treasure
                > >> that is in his heart, and (in fact) he speaks evil.
                > >> (4) For out of the abundance of the heart he brings forth evil."
                > >

                > Perhaps the people referred to just aren't going to repent? This could
                >reflect a belief in predestination.
                >
                >Regards,
                >
                >Robert Brenchley
                >
                >RSBrenchley@...

              • Jim Bauer
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 30, 2000
                  Mike,

                  Well I still find your discovering "hidden meanings" as the same sort of
                  endeavor the Kabalist attempted. When I was still in college the acid heads
                  in the dorm were passing around a slim volume by Jung called
                  _Synchronicity_. The thesis entertained here is that besides ordinary cause
                  & effect there is an "acausal connecting principle:" which he dubbed
                  "synchronicity". For example, he relates a crucial moment in a client's
                  therapy where she was relating a dream about a scarab beetle. At that point
                  one flew in the window & Jung asked if this was the insect of her dreams &
                  she said yes. I feel, though I don't know the Coptic or Greek to defend it,
                  that any attempt to treat GThom as a "jigsaw puzzle" is probably foredoomed
                  to failure as meaningful coincidence. As for "scientific method", religious
                  studies are as a field non-paradigmatic & therefore not science.
                  Attributing it to "science" is just another example of what Jerome Ravetz in
                  _Scientific Knowledge & its Social Problems_ called the "folk science" of
                  modern culture. Anthropologists believe every culture has a folk science;
                  modern folk science is science itself as observable in the proliferation of
                  things called "science". For example, I met a young college student who was
                  majoring in "secretarial science". Political science also comes rapidly to
                  mind as an example of what Ravetz discussed in his book. If you're not
                  familiar with Kuhn's _The Structure of Scientific Revolutions_ you should
                  check it out.

                  Jim Bauer
                  >>This sounds like the "Bible codes" which are so popular with
                  Fundamentalists
                  >>now. ...
                  >>The jigsaw puzzle is probably equally eroneous unless you can show how
                  using
                  >>Thomas this way actually produces any more coherent view of the whole.
                  >
                  >As a logician and a firm believer in the scientific method, I hope to show
                  >much more than that. I hope to show (1) that there are patterns of
                  >transformation, (2) that the "solution" proceeds according to an orderly
                  >series of steps, and (3) that the end result is not only "more coherent",
                  >but virtually perfect in form and content. In other words, I hope to
                  >absolutely prove that it was the intention of the Coptic authors to devise
                  >a puzzle. A tall order, and not much progress has been made so far, but I
                  >wouldn't personally be satisfied with anything less. These occasional
                  >examples that I throw onto the list are not intended as any kind of proof,
                  >but merely to illustrate the kinds of things that support the intuition
                  >behind the hypothesis. (In actual fact, Th45 was currently being discussed
                  >on the GospelofThomas list, and my thinking about that saying evolved as I
                  >was writing my remarks to such an extent that it led to some results that
                  >surprised me, and I thought it might be worthwhile posting here also.)
                  >
                  >Mike

                • Andrew Smith
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 30, 2000
                    --- In gthomas@egroups.com, Michael Grondin <mgrondin@t...> wrote:

                    > > (1) "Grapes are not harvested from thorns, nor are figs picked
                    > > from thistles, for they do not produce fruit.
                    > > (2) A good person brings forth good from his treasure.
                    > > (3) A bad person brings (forth) evil from the bad treasure
                    > > that is in his heart, and (in fact) he speaks evil.
                    > > (4) For out of the abundance of the heart he brings forth evil."
                    > > http://www.geocities.com/mwgrondin/5thGospl.htm
                    > <snipped>
                    > The mention of thorns should remind us of Th9, the only other
                    saying
                    > in which that Coptic word is used. In Th9 (the parable of the
                    sower),
                    > it's stated that the "seeds" that fell on thorns were choked by
                    them,
                    > and eaten by worms. Could the "good" part of 45 (i.e., 45.2) be the
                    > "seeds" that were "choked" by the surrounding statements about evil
                    > (45.1,3,4)? If so - and if the puzzle hypothesis is true - then we
                    > should expect to find some other saying about worms. Sure enough,
                    we
                    > find mention of worms in saying 76, where it's recommended that one
                    > "seek his(?) ... treasure where ... no worms destroy." If any
                    further
                    > connection is needed, we find it in the word 'treasure'. What this
                    > all amounts to, it seems to me, is that 45.2 is intended to be
                    "eaten
                    > by" (i.e., joined with) 76.3, and that the remainder of 45 (all the
                    > stuff about evil) is one of the three locations mentioned in Th9
                    > where the "seed" doesn't produce "fruit". In other words, 45.2 is
                    the
                    > good seed that inadvertently fell among "thorns". It cannot survive
                    > there - it has to be moved. I take this as another piece of
                    internal
                    > evidence for the jigsaw puzzle theory, according to which the
                    reader
                    > is intended to rearrange parts of GoT - even to remove parts of it
                    -
                    > to form a different, more perfect, structure than appears at first.
                    >
                    > Mike

                    Bad treasure in the heart brings forth evil. Good treasure in the
                    heart brings forth good.

                    Thorns do not produce grapes

                    Seeds that fall on thorns are eaten by worms

                    seek your treasure where no worms destroy.

                    ****
                    So seek your treasure where there are not thorns, but where you can
                    get figs or grapes.

                    So, thorns=bad grapes/figs=good.

                    (as we all thought.)

                    Mike, if you can find an order to GoT that makes more sense, then I'm
                    interested. Are you saying that the collection of sayings existed in
                    Greek, then it was reordered in the Coptic version, with sayings
                    being
                    changed to indicate how to put it back into its original order?

                    All of the sayings you quoted above make perfect sense to me
                    and have their own internal logic.

                    Andrew 'Puzz
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 30, 2000
                      Andrew Smith wrote:
                      >Are you saying that the collection of sayings existed in Greek,
                      >then it was reordered in the Coptic version, with sayings being
                      >changed to indicate how to put it back into its original order?

                      No. Altho that's possible, it's only one of a number of possibilities as
                      far as I can see. The main thing that counts against it, IMO, is that POxy
                      654 contains the same non-responsive "answer" to the questions in 6A as
                      does the Coptic GTh. But if the set of answers in Coptic #14 (not extant in
                      the Greek) is joined to the corresponding questions in 6A - as seems likely
                      - the result will not be identical to POxy 654. So the hypothesis you
                      mention strikes me as being unlikely. But aside from that, it's best for a
                      number of reasons to confine my hypothesis to the Coptic text. If and when
                      it can be established with respect to that text, then it may be possible to
                      reach some conclusions about the text represented by the Greek fragments.

                      Mike
                    • joseph baxter
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 1, 2000
                        At 03:12 PM 9/30/2000 , you wrote:
                        The thesis entertained here is that besides ordinary cause
                        & effect there is an "acausal connecting principle:" which he dubbed
                        "synchronicity". For example, he relates a crucial moment in a client's
                        therapy where she was relating a dream about a scarab beetle. At that point
                        one flew in the window & Jung asked if this was the insect of her dreams &
                        she said yes.

                        Some years ago, on a Monday morning, the United States Supreme Court
                        announced a decision upholding a conviction where an involuntary confession
                        had been used against the accused at trial. It rocked the legal world with
                        a stark moment of truth. One of the oldest and tallest pillars of law had
                        been felled.

                        3000 miles away in a northern California forest, on that same Monday
                        morning, one of the tallest trees in the world fell (in a
                        storm). According to newspaper reports the awesome tree seemed even larger
                        on the ground. Stories high at its base, it stretched for more than the
                        size of a football field.

                        Jung's story seems to suggest that synchronicity can occur at a moment of
                        truth.

                        Joe

                      • Jim Bauer
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 1, 2000
                          >The thesis entertained here is that besides ordinary cause
                          >& effect there is an "acausal connecting principle:" which he dubbed
                          >"synchronicity". For example, he relates a crucial moment in a client's
                          >therapy where she was relating a dream about a scarab beetle. At that point
                          >one flew in the window & Jung asked if this was the insect of her dreams &
                          >she said yes.
                          >
                          >Some years ago, on a Monday morning, the United States Supreme Court
                          >announced a decision upholding a conviction where an involuntary confession
                          >had been used against the accused at trial. It rocked the legal world with
                          >a stark moment of truth. One of the oldest and tallest pillars of law had
                          >been felled.
                          >
                          >3000 miles away in a northern California forest, on that same Monday
                          >morning, one of the tallest trees in the world fell (in a
                          >storm). According to newspaper reports the awesome tree seemed even larger
                          >on the ground. Stories high at its base, it stretched for more than the
                          >size of a football field.
                          >
                          >Jung's story seems to suggest that synchronicity can occur at a moment of
                          >truth.

                          If you are willing to actually accept synchronicity as real I suppose it
                          could exist. The problem with synchronicity is that it is purportedly
                          "acausal". It is very difficult to reject the laws of cause & effect which
                          are required by science & the scientific method. As I said, the acid heads
                          in my dorm were passing the book around. It may be true that you can
                          perceive synchronicity. Another friend of mine used to get thoroughly
                          descoobied on imported beer & put the Psychedelic Furs on his stereo & The
                          Dukes of Hazzard on TV to look for synchronicity. With the brain in a
                          severely perturbed state.it seems one could experience it but that doesn't
                          prove it actually exists. It seems me to be a recapitulation of an
                          ancestral state where cause & effect weren't clearly undestood by the
                          perceiving system. This is also one of the biological determinants of the
                          existence of religion.

                          Jim Bauer

                          >Joe

                        • joseph baxter
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 1, 2000
                            At 09:31 AM 10/1/2000 , you wrote:

                            >--
                            >If you are willing to actually accept synchronicity as real I suppose it
                            >could exist. The problem with synchronicity is that it is purportedly
                            >"acausal". It is very difficult to reject the laws of cause & effect which
                            >are required by science & the scientific method.

                            Jung called it acausal, but I don't see that as part of the necessary
                            explanation. As you put it, it is difficult to reject cause and effect. So
                            it could be that two things happening at the same time are the effects of
                            causes. By way of example only, one could argue that both efffects are
                            sympathetic responses to something larger, as opposed to one being the
                            cause of the other. I believe that Jung himself meant something like this.

                            Joe

                          • Jeffrey Glen Jackson
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 1, 2000
                              Regarding synchronicity, I work on compilers, which are computer
                              programs that translate programming languages, such as FORTRAN or
                              C or C++ into machine language. These programs are themselves
                              written in a programming language and so are used to compile themselves.
                              (Sorry for the long technical explanation -- I'm getting to the point
                              soon). Now, the C compiler is written in C. A new version is compiled
                              with an old version of the compiler. Then we recompile it with the
                              new version we just compiled. Then, we do it again, and make sure
                              this third generation of compilations is identical to the second
                              generation. The new compiler compiled with the old compiler should
                              generate the same results as the new compiler compiled with
                              itself. However, if the new compiler has a bug, it might generate
                              incorrect code for some portion of itself, causing the new compiler
                              compiled with itself to behave differently than the new compiler compiled
                              with the old compiler. More often than is reasonable, the module it
                              generates incorrect code for is the module that has the bug that
                              caused the incorrect code to be generated in the first place. This
                              happens so often its downright spooky.

                              Jeff
                              http://www.jeff-jackson.com
                            • odell mcguire
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 2, 2000
                                joseph baxter wrote:

                                > At 09:31 AM 10/1/2000 , you wrote:
                                >
                                > >--
                                > >If you are willing to actually accept synchronicity as real I suppose it
                                > >could exist. The problem with synchronicity is that it is purportedly
                                > >"acausal". It is very difficult to reject the laws of cause & effect which
                                > >are required by science & the scientific method.
                                >
                                > Jung called it acausal, but I don't see that as part of the necessary
                                > explanation. As you put it, it is difficult to reject cause and effect. So
                                > it could be that two things happening at the same time are the effects of
                                > causes. By way of example only, one could argue that both efffects are
                                > sympathetic responses to something larger, as opposed to one being the
                                > cause of the other. I believe that Jung himself meant something like this.
                                >
                                > Joe

                                Joe/Jim

                                Excuse me for butting in, but it seems to me this 'synchroneity' business poses
                                something of a dilemma for the historian. No one trying to do history from
                                primary sources can accept the kind of seemingly meaningful coincidences being
                                discussed without exhaustively eliminating all possibility of causal
                                connection. If he does not hesitate to entertain the idea of simple coincidence
                                he will never learn anything about his subject from his documents except what
                                their writers want him to think.

                                Coincidences happen. But some cannot be swallowed. I keep thinking of
                                Jesus bar Ananias. According to Josephus (Jewish War.VI.300ff) this character
                                was a peasant, a posessesed lunatic who, some four years before the war began,
                                created an incident in the temple by repeating the words of his 'voices' at the
                                Feast of Booths: "... a voice against Jerusalem and the temple (NAOS), a voice
                                against bridegroom and bride, a voice against all the people" and carried these
                                cries into the streets. "Woe to Jerusalem" he kept repeating. He was chastised
                                first by 'leading citizens' and finally brought before the Roman governor and,
                                when he refused to identify or defend himself, he was scourged 'to the bone.'
                                Woe to Jerusalem.' he said. But he recovered and continued repeating his dire
                                prophecies until he was finally killed by a ballista bolt during the last weeks
                                of the siege in 70 AD.

                                A total coincidence that a peasant named Jesus, thought to be crazy, speaking
                                with the voice of a spirit, was involved in a temple incident, predicted the
                                fall of city and temple before the war, was finally hauled before the Roman
                                governor, refused to say who he was or defend himself, and was severely scourged
                                -all a few months before Mark composed his tale--??? Some say so. But I smell
                                fish, a barrelful. Else I am no historian.

                                But I am nowhere near accepting as explanation the theory, currently being
                                mentioned favorably by some on the Xtalk list, that Jesus, as Mark portrays him,
                                was a Markan midrashic creation. (Partly based on an oral memory of Jesus
                                Ananias.)

                                What, then? The best I am able to come up with is that there *was* a lunatic
                                Jesus Ananias who prophesied the destruction of the city, but probably after the
                                siege began, and that he thereby got himself in somekind of trouble with the
                                authorities and thus left a trace in the documents that Josephus worked with.
                                (So far, an acceptable mass of coincidence; one can easily imagine kooks such
                                as this in Jerusalem under siege and Jesus was a very common name; Josephus
                                alone deals with some 20 Jesuses)

                                But it was not enough by itself for a good Josephan story. (And they *were* all
                                *very* good stories) By most accounts, I think, Josephus wrote 'War' in the
                                80s. About 10 years after Mark wrote 2G. I suspect that Josephus had a copy of
                                Mark's gospel in his library (or its predecessor PN), recognized the real
                                parallels, and copied the rest to
                                flesh out his story. If this is true, the real historical value of the Jesus
                                Ananias 'coincidence mass' lies in the fact that Josephus had access to Mark
                                before he wrote 'Antiquities' and the passages lying behind the Testimonium
                                Flavianum. Etc. Etc.

                                I love a mass coincidence in primary texts. As another Mark wrote about
                                Historical Geology:

                                "It yields such wholesale returns of conjecture out of a trifling investment
                                of fact"
                                From *Life on the Mississippi*
                                --
                                Best wishes, Odell

                                Odell McGuire
                                omcguire@...
                                Prof. Geology Em., W&L
                                Lexington, VA
                              • Tom Ragland
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 2, 2000
                                  All that is being attempted is to abstract concepts and put them into a
                                  relational framework and intuitively deduce insights by the construction.
                                  This is the basis for Kaballah (Quabalah, and other spellings), which is
                                  supposed to be the mystical tradition of Judaism going back to before the
                                  time of Jesus. Judaism sees three divisions in their tradition. The Bible
                                  (Old Testament, Torah and Prophets) is the physical set of rules and
                                  instructions for the physical molding to the covenant. The Talmud (which we
                                  in Christian tradition may think of the Church Fathers instead) is the
                                  mental reflection on the covenant, the logical arguments and conclusions.
                                  The Kaballah is the mystical gnosis, the direct intuitive link as reflected
                                  to the chosen by the archangel Metatron. There are countless books that
                                  show evidence of Kaballistic understanding in the writers of the books of
                                  Ezekiel and Isaiah, thus pushing the tradition back quite a distance. "For
                                  thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever" ending to
                                  the Lord's Prayer is an obvious reference to Kaballah to anyone who has
                                  experienced the Tree of Life. All of this to say that Kaballah is a system
                                  of rearranging ideas according to themes and studying the relationships of
                                  these ideas at a level higher than that of rational logic. It is intuitive
                                  and inspirational and the Jews say that it is angels who guide the awakened
                                  insights that are received as if by intuition and an experience that cannot
                                  be put back into words. This is why the Kaballah is not a text but rather a
                                  drawing. The discussions about the deity in the ancient Gnostic texts prove
                                  that early Gnostic Christianity was Kaballistic. The "Self Begotten", the
                                  "Silent One", Christos, Logos, the Virgin Mother, the emanations and
                                  overflowings, the Sophia who wanted to know the Father and thus gave birth
                                  to the universe, the Zoe who is the etheric aura that sustains life--all
                                  relate back to the greatest treasure that Judaism has given to the world.
                                  It is all confusing contradictory words until placed in the organizational
                                  structure of the Kaballah. And then it all comes together, but in a way
                                  that you can't explain in just logical terms. But you can introduce someone
                                  to the Kaballah and have them come to the same realizations. Sort of a
                                  holistic reptilian primative understanding that dissipates in the light of
                                  the almighty logical ego trip. Heart over head once again. Seems to be a
                                  reoccuring theme of gnosis in general.

                                  >> I take this as another piece of internal
                                  >> evidence for the jigsaw puzzle theory, according to which the
                                  >reader
                                  >> is intended to rearrange parts of GoT - even to remove parts of it
                                  >-
                                  >> to form a different, more perfect, structure than appears at first.

                                  This sounds like the "Bible codes" which are so popular with
                                  Fundamentalists
                                  now. Just in case you're unsure what I mean, they do things like read
                                  every
                                  fifth word & then pretend some meaningful insight to what's really
                                  nonsense.
                                  The jigsaw puzzle is probably equally eroneous unless you can show how
                                  using
                                  Thomas this way actually produces any more coherent view of the whole. I
                                  think finding such "meaning" is probably of the same order as the meaning
                                  of
                                  dreams in the psychoanalysis game. Dennet used it in _Consciousness
                                  Explained_ (the title of which historian of science Bob Richards said
                                  should
                                  be followed by a question mark).

                                  Dennet uses it as an explanation of hallucination. The game consists of
                                  sending one of the party members as a dupe to leave the room while the
                                  remaider of the party concoct a dream for him to analyze. It is to be
                                  related to him by his asking the remainder yes-no questions When the dupe
                                  is gone the remainder agree that they will answer yes if the last letter
                                  of
                                  the last word is in the first half of the alphabet & no if otherwise. In
                                  short, the dupe concocts a dream out of the questions provided him. I'm
                                  afraid any attempt to break Thomas down into a code or jigsaw puzzle
                                  probably has you asking the same kind of questions & getting the same kind
                                  of answers.

                                  Jim Bauer

                                  Tom Ragland --> tomragland@...
                                  http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/8219/centuries/