RE: [gthomas] Choosing the 100 (Th23)

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 10, 2000
      Rick Hubbard said:

      >>Although your suggestion (that the statement is a clue to the
      proportion of "gnostics" among the general Egyptian population) is
      intriguing, it seems doubtful (at least to me) that the
      author's/editor's intention was to provide any demographic
      information.<<

      You are probably correct. It would be an unintentional clue, if a clue
      at all. Since we have so little data about the number of gnostics in
      general in any period (except that they were relatively more common in
      the 2nd century, when numerous original teachers were active in
      Alexandria and among the city populations of Syria, than in the 4th
      (when they seem to be mainly residents of monasteries), the question
      is academic.

      What I was suggesting was that the Greek version may have been
      composed in a period by a free thinker associated with one of the many
      public semi-philosophical schools of the late 1st or early 2nd
      centuries who wanted to associate Jesus with a form of introspective
      gnosis. In the other hand the Coptic version, which appeared to have
      rearranged the order of some sayings and possibly added new ones, I
      suppose was the production of a member of an underground "gnostic"
      clique in the 3rd or 4th century.

      Regards,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA