Re: [gthomas] Apollo and Dionysus

  • Jim Bauer
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2000
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Andrew Smith <asmith@...>
      To: gthomas@egroups.com <gthomas@egroups.com>
      Date: Thursday, September 07, 2000 11:21 AM
      Subject: Re: [gthomas] Apollo and Dionysus

      >>> if
      Birth
      >>> of
      >>> the
      Dionysus
      >> or
      >
      >Without commenting on its relevance to GoT, I've never been convinced that
      >this was anything but the way Nietzche viewed Apollo & Dionysos. Is there
      >really any evidence that the Greeks thought of Apollo & Dionysos as
      opposed?
      >I know that Dionysos took over Delphi in the winter months, but this
      doesn't
      >imply opposition to me. Their mythical cycles seem to be quite separate.

      No, not if you consider the root-metaphor theory of religion, which some
      anthropologists believe overly-reductioistic. The idea is that all
      religions consist of a handful of root-metaphors surrounded by a cluster of
      ancillary metaphors. One of the most well-known for X-ianity is "God is
      love". In the argument I was trying to build up here, Jesus in Thomas fits
      more closely into the metaphor-cluster which Nietzsche ascribes to Dionysus
      while the NT Jesus has been translated into Apollonian symbolism.

      Jim Bauer