Re: Early Christian Communites

  • RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2000
      I'm trying to use recent posts to help construct a picture of what the
      Jesus communities might have looked like pre-70. I'm assuming that there were
      probably two centres for his followers in the earliest days, Jerusalem and
      Galilee, with different agendas. The people in Galilee - out in the sticks,
      in a mixed Jewish/Gentile community where most Jews were probably more
      interested in getting on with their neighbours than with the finer points of
      Torah - tended to see Jesus as a prophet or wise man, uttering words of
      divine wisdom, and this understanding eventually led them to make collections
      of sayings attributed to Jesus. Q and Thomas go back to different strands
      within this broad grouping.

      In Jerusalem, people were more interested in Torah, the Temple, and
      Messianic expectations, the Crucifixion caused a crisis which had to be
      explained (Galilee was a long way away and the people there don't seem to
      have been that interested. They always killed the prophets, after all) and
      I'm assuming the resurrection story had a Jerusalem origin. Quarrels over
      Torah and the Temple led to a split developing between the James group, which
      remained in Jerusalem, and the Paulines, who go back to the Hellenists who
      fled. Post-70, I suspect there was probably more awareness of the diversity
      of traditions, as Matthew and Luke incorporate Q material within material
      which derives ultimately from the Jerusalem tradition.

      Am I on the right lines, or does anyone have any great issue with this?
      Please forgive my ignorance.

      Regards,

      Robert Brenchley

      RSBrenchley@...

      PS I had assumed Mark 16:7 to be an interpolation intended to get Peter
      off the hook. In the light of the above, could it have a second purpose; to
      affirm the Galilee communities?