Re: earliest layers

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 23, 2000
      --- Yuri Kuchinsky wrote:
      > ... allow me to repeat once again what I already said previously.

      Hmm. Two redundancies in one sentence! Must be sumpin important.

      > All early (proto) Christians were the followers of Jesus.

      Gosh, who could deny that? The early followers of Jesus were all
      followers of Jesus. I'd even add to the tautology: so were the later
      ones! There, now we've got something to really sink our teeth into!

      > ... I'm still waiting to hear even one reason why they would not
      > have been all united around the need to spread the message of
      > Jesus, as they understood it.

      Thanks for adding the last qualifier. It makes all the difference in
      the world. I wonder if you understand that. One might add also "as
      they understood HIM".

      > So I see the assumption of early Christian unity as the most
      > natural and fundamental assumption.

      Sure, all the followers of Jesus wanted him to "win" in some sense,
      but a heck of a lot of diversity can occur within that apparent unity
      of purpose. (Including what the world would look like if he did
      "win"). All the kids at my high school, for example, were united in
      wanting our sports teams to win. That didn't mean, of course, that
      the "greasers" agreed with the "jocks" on anything else.

      > ... Very good reasons indeed need to be supplied for
      > why this may not have been so.

      Aw, what's the use of wasting good reasons on a dogmatist? Lotta work
      for nothing.