Re: Zoroastrianism and Judaism/Christianity was Digest Number 111

  • RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 15, 2000
      Steve Allison writes:

      << One of the Nag Hammadi texts, the Apochryphon of John, actually cites the
      book of Zoroaster as if its an authoritative source. It is in a section
      discussing the names of angels. Even though Apoch John is a third century
      CE document, it might be indicative of a general traditional respect in
      which the book of Zoroaster and Zoroastrianism in general was held in
      certain Jewish, Baptist, and Christian circles. >>

      My translation (in Bentley Layton, The Gnostic Scriptures, 1987) has 'Now
      others, whom I have not mentioned to you (sing.), preside over the rest of
      the passions; and if you want to know about them, the matter is written in
      the Book of Zoroaster'. This comes at the end of a long list of angels who
      are responsible for the various parts of the human body.

      This comes considerably later than the section on the 'dim ruler' who
      appears to be parallel to Satan. I agree that the text is evidence of the
      high respect in which Zoroastrianism must have been held in the circles
      responsible for the manuscript, but I am not convinced that the reference can
      be taken as referring back to the 'dim ruler'.

      Regards,

      Robert Brenchley

      RSBrenchley@...