GOT saying 2 and Angela of Foligno

  • Dan Washburn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2000
      Here is the second saying in the Gospel of Thomas:

      2 Jesus said, "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find.
      When they find, they will be distraught. When they are distraught, they
      will marvel, and will reign over the All.

      What does this mean? Find what? Why will they be distraught when they
      find it and why will they begin to marvel? How does one reign over the
      All?

      I've been reading a book by Evelyn Underhill called The Mystic Way
      (1913) which contains a quote from the Book of Divine Consolations of
      the Blessed Angela of Foligno which sheds some light on this saying, I
      believe.

      p 13. "I had comprehension of the whole world, both here and beyond the

      sea, and the Abyss and all things else; and therein I beheld naught save

      the divine power in a manner which is verily indescribable, so that
      through greatness of marvelling the soul cried out with a loud voice,
      saying, 'This whole world is full of God.'"

      They seek for what is beyond ordinary human experience.
      When they find it, it produces terror, because it is beyond ordinary
      human experience.
      Beyond the terror, one begins to marvel at the divine power
      which is in everything and sustains everything.
      To reign over the All is to see the unity of the One within the Many.