Re: [gthomas] sayings 108 and 13

  • odell mcguire
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 6, 2000
      Patti wrote:
      >Sheesh. Well, for example, if in English, you were to write:
      "It was a
      close shave, and afterward the captain suddenly shouted,
      'Bottoms up, mates!"
      what would be required for a non-English translator to
      understand the true
      meaning? (Because, to someone unfamiliar with ways of saying in
      our culture,
      it might certainly sound like the "mates had their asses shaved
      in
      >preparation for a homosexual liaison.")

      Sorry, but I can't resist a comment. This example may have
      subtleties you didn't intend, for 'shave' in the local dialect
      is a euphemism for the usual 4 letter word meaning 'have sexual
      congress (with)'.
      --
      Best wishes, Odell

      Odell McGuire
      omcguire@...
      Prof. Geology Em., W&L
      Lexington, VA
    • Kanefer@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 6, 2000
        Odell wrote: <<Sorry, but I can't resist a comment. This example may have
        subtleties you didn't intend, for 'shave' in the local dialect is a euphemism
        for the usual 4 letter word meaning 'have sexual congress (with)'.>>

        Ha ha!! :-) I didn't know that! Though on an unconscious level
        "bottoms up" is sexual. So, maybe this indicates that a translator might
        inadvertently translate the 'unconscious communication' inherent in a saying,
        while what was consciously "intended" escapes translation. This would be
        very interesting.
        Our examination of GoT sometimes seems to go deeper than the (apparent)
        simplicity of the words.
        Maybe, a psychoanalytic look at GoT is good idea. We could learn more
        about the speaker. For example, that saying - "Foxes have their dens and
        birds have nests, but the son of man has no place to rest his head." On a
        very basic sexual level, we see the bird (common phallic symbol) "enter" the
        nest, and the fox "enter" the den. But that son of man had no place to rest
        his "head," (for being abstinent one). That is, his abstinence
        inadvertently is made evident in the way of saying. While intended message
        was (IMO) that son of man had no such natural "home" because of it being his
        to seek Kingdom of God.

        Sincerely, Patti