Psyche & Pneuma in GoT

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2 11:13 AM
      (crosspost to GThomas and GospelofThomas lists)

      Following are selected portions of all the sayings in the GoT which use
      the Greek words 'psyche' and 'pneuma':

      PSYCHE: 5 occurrences in 4 sayings (87 & 112 are a pair)
      (25) Love your (sg) brother like your PSYCHE.
      (28) My PSYCHE ached over the sons of men.
      (87) Wretched is the body which depends on a body,
      and wretched is the PSYCHE that depends on these two.
      (112) Woe to the flesh that depends on the PSYCHE;
      woe to the PSYCHE that depends on the flesh.

      PNEUMA: 6 occurrences in 5 sayings
      ----------------------------------
      (14) If you give alms, you'll be doing evil to your PNEUMA's.
      (29) If flesh came into being because of PNEUMA, a wonder it is,
      but if PNEUMA because of the body, a wonder of wonders it is.
      (44) Whoever blasphemes against the PNEUMA-which-is-holy
      will not be forgiven, neither on earth nor in heaven.
      (53) The true circumcision in PNEUMA has become totally sufficient.
      (114) I will lead her [Mary] in order to make her male, so that she
      also might become a living PNEUMA, resembling you males.

      The question I pose to myself is this: aside from #44 (where the special
      term 'Holy Spirit' is used), what do the rest of these statements
      suggest (if anything) about the difference (if any) between 'psyche' and
      'pneuma' in the mind(s) of the author(s)?